Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike Rack

Bike Rack

What kind of bike racks do you all use to haul your bikes from one destination to another? I have yakima bars and a bike set for it, but am weary to carry my bike on top of my car going 80...just doesnt seem safe.
    1996 4runner SR5- Bunch of goodies that make it clunck<br /><br />2008 Acura TL

Re: Bike Rack

i have a yakima kingpin 2. ordered it from www.rackattack.com

i was skeptical about having a bike on top of the roof also....

thats not a bad idea....maybe ill look for a used one...haha
    1996 4runner SR5- Bunch of goodies that make it clunck<br /><br />2008 Acura TL

Nothing wrong with them on top just don't flip a U-ie going 80, ha. You could always mount them inside with a simple clutch also, Rockymounts.com makes a nice one for $20.

&#039;99 4Runner Highlander, e-Locker, Deckplate/Trueflow, and 265/75 Terra Grapplers

I use Yakima and I think they are pretty solid. I put my whole weight into trying to get my bike lose to see how it holds. Very sturdy. I don't know if I'd try that with a OEM rack. I gone over 100mph many times and never had a problem. Checked them at 90 with the sunroof open to see how sturdy they were. They were solid. These tests may not have been the smartest way to do it. This is only for the racks where you take the front wheel off. I don't know how sturdy the full bike racks are.

We just drove out to Utah with a Yakima hitch rack with two bikes on it, and two Yakima copperhead racks on the roof with two more bikes. And yes, we regularly exceeded 80 for approximately 2,000 miles. :-)

I really like the hitch rack; the 4runner blocks most of the junk from hitting the bikes, and they are easy enough to throw on there.
    Scott
    2017 blue 4runner ORP / Shrockwork sliders, RCI skids, and a small pile of not-yet-installed bits.
    (Proud recipient of $22,000 in damage within the first five months of ownership. Darnit.)

Quote Originally Posted by cooldry
    I use Yakima and I think they are pretty solid. I put my whole weight into trying to get my bike lose to see how it holds. Very sturdy. I don't know if I'd try that with a OEM rack. I gone over 100mph many times and never had a problem. Checked them at 90 with the sunroof open to see how sturdy they were. They were solid. These tests may not have been the smartest way to do it. This is only for the racks where you take the front wheel off. I don't know how sturdy the full bike racks are.
    Great rack, I more amazed at the speed of your Yota.

Tourist

Sportworks modular hitch rack for 3 bikes and a bones hatch rack for the tandem and/or wheeling though it's heck on the paint with all that bouncing.

'96 4Runner SR5 4x4, manual, e-locker, manual hubs too. Stuff happened to it. Stuff is still happening to it.
    '99 4Runner SR5 Highlander, manual w/locker. Stuff is starting to happen to this one too...but not too much stuff.
    http://www.yotatech.com/f200/habaner...thread-201751/
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco View Post
    Sometimes guys like to be treated like princesses too!

A friend of mine used to have a rear hitch rack. They had 3 bikes on there, total cost was $12000 worth of bikes. Got rear ended. The auto insurance didn't want to pay for the bikes, only the damage to the car. Had to go after the other driver through arbitration.

My wife and I have Yakima racks on the roofs of both of our cars. Fork mounted steelheads are the way to go if you ask me. I've had our Subaru at about 120 with 2 bikes up there. Honestly I forgo they were even up there. Later my wife said, "I hope the bikes are alright." Had I remembered I don't think I would have even gone that fast. We also have a hitch mounted rack. It's alright but I wouldn't put my road bike in it. I made a holder thingy to mount 2 bikes and their front wheel while in the car. It works in our Subaru and 4runner. I'll see if I can dig up a picture. It's nice because it holds the bikes secure and it's completely removable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast