Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping in the back of the pickup?

Sleeping in the back of the pickup?

Ok I know this is a random question considering I don't own a pickup but I was wondering how comfortable it was sleeping in the back of a pickup. I know what it feels like sleeping in my 4runner(cabin) but was curious as to how comfortable it was sleeping in the back of a tacoma/tundra pickup with either a tent/shell setup. If you've slept in both configurations that'll be even better!

If you have some sample photos of your sleeping confirmation that'll be awesome. Oly I know you've got some old photos of your pre-camper configuration but want to get some other ideas etc.

thanks!

Edit - Just in case people tell me to visit Chris' (Bajataco) site... Been there
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Re: Sleeping in the back of the pickup?

I used to sleep in the back on my Chevy all the time. I used it as a pick up so I didn't have a fancy platform or shell. The bed was plenty long and wide. Nothing special, justa sleeping pad.
    I had planned to sleep in it last year at Pismo but it rained. It wasn't so much the water as much as it was the blowing wet sand that sent me to the cab.

Even with a shell it's not quite as quiet as sleeping inside a 4runner.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I don't have a tacoma or anything but a friend of mine does and I know he uses it for that purpose on occasion. I'll chat with him about it but I would expect it to expose you to more weather conditions just because of the lack of a seal around the bed. Granted there is something there, but again, obviously not like you'd find with the 4runner.

Maybe even a little louder? The lack of carpeting, and insulation on the roof and sides, by my logic would seem to let in more sounds from the outside. Buttttt...camping is camping and there is nothing like hearing the sounds of the great outdoors! So its a matter of opinion in that respect.

I don't know man, I love sleeping in my 4runner. Comparing Tacos and 4runners in this respect seems like apples to oranges but I have no experience in the Taco so who knows!?

Good luck finding the answer!
    ~Kyle<br /><br />2004 Xcab Tacoma 4x4, diff locker, mostly stock for now...

Just drink more Sangria before going to bed and you'll be fine!

It's nice to have a board to put your sleeping mat on so that you don't have to deal with the ribs in the bed. It's nice to have an insulated mat like a thermarest or similar, as you can get cold from the underneath since there is no insulation just sheetmetal.

I've never slept in one that had a shell on it, I mainly used it to just sleep "out under the stars" but in places where I didn't want to sleep on the ground.
    My signature

with my 4runner ive noticed that it gets cold from neck up due to lack of insulation inside the truck. If their was a way to figure this out id like to do that.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

I wear a sweatshirt with a hood.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Times

If you have some sample photos of your sleeping confirmation that'll be awesome. Oly I know you've got some old photos of your pre-camper configuration but want to get some other ideas etc.
    Yup: http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y86...amper%20Setup/

In the transitional period I did sleep in the bed without the shell. I used a smaller air mattress and a tarp made into a lean-to from the top of the cab down to the back. Not a ton of head room, but it kept the rain out and with the right sleeping bag, I was nice and cozy all night.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Quote Originally Posted by oly884
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Times

Yup: http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y86...amper%20Setup/

In the transitional period I did sleep in the bed without the shell. I used a smaller air mattress and a tarp made into a lean-to from the top of the cab down to the back. Not a ton of head room, but it kept the rain out and with the right sleeping bag, I was nice and cozy all night.
    nice, i dont have the right sleeping bag, though its rated at 0, it sure cant handle 29 degrees at night.

i need a nice bag, northface or something
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

I don't have a pickup but I image that you could do some custom work to the camper shell to insulate it some how.

I know camping in back of my 4runner I kept pretty warm even when it got down below freezing:
    2000 Toyota 4runner with some goodies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast