Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: horrible MPG in my 98 4runner

horrible MPG in my 98 4runner

I am trying to gear up for driving 100 miles round trip to the lake and back towing the skis this spring/summer. I have a 98 6cyl. around town right now we are getting 14-15 mpg. The 02 sensor went out shortly after We got the truck and I replaced it hoping to see a significant gas mileage improvement. So far I have not seen and improvement and it has been about 2 months. I disconnected the battery to reset the ecu after I replaced the sensor. I am planning on cleaning the MAF sensor with some electrical contact cleaner tonight. Is there anything else that could be causing such horrible gas mileage? The 4runner is getting worse MPG than the jeep...

Re: horrible MPG in my 98 4runner

How's it run otherwise?

check the basic maintenance items first: air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs / wires, pcv valve. You could run Sea Foam through the intake to clean any carbon or residue build up out of the engine. make sure your tires are properly aired up - go by the sticker on the driver front door jamb, not the tire sidewall - if you go ~ 5 psi higher you may see some slight improvement. if you have a lot of heavy junk in the back that you don't need, take it out - it takes gas to move all that stuff.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I was going to post a new thread but this is right in line w/ my question as well (not intended as a hijack). I keep track of my mileage for each tank and have noticed a drop from an average of about 19 mpg to ~17 mpg overall. I used to have some street tires on the 4Runner and now have BFG ATs. Could these tires have such a dramatic effect on mpg. I have corrected for the difference in circumference between the 2 in my calculations. I have also added a SS #7 and sliders, so I suppose there is a tiny bit more weight as well.

Just another mpg-related question, sorry if it clutters this thread.

Just in case you took your initial readings in warm weather, winter weather may decrease mileage by a couple of miles per gallon in a 3rd gen
    2001 4Runner SR5 - 1.5&quot; 4Crwaler BL | Toytec Coilovers TT-AFCS-550 | <br />OME 891s | Bilstein 4R96-BIL | Armorology Bull Bar | Warn M8000 | Engle 14 quart Freezer/Warmer&nbsp; MHFD-015E-D | Cobra 18WXSTII&nbsp; | Thule basket | Yokohama Geolander MT+ 305/70R16 | Low profile cargo | rear seat panel | Laptop mount | Globalsat BU-353 GPS |&nbsp; NGEO Topo | Delorme Topo.

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    How's it run otherwise?

check the basic maintenance items first: air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs / wires, pcv valve. You could run Sea Foam through the intake to clean any carbon or residue build up out of the engine. make sure your tires are properly aired up - go by the sticker on the driver front door jamb, not the tire sidewall - if you go ~ 5 psi higher you may see some slight improvement. if you have a lot of heavy junk in the back that you don't need, take it out - it takes gas to move all that stuff.
    It runs great. it had a full tune up by a toyota dealership at 100,000

14 or 15 mpg ( if I am lucky)! I wouldn't split hairs over 1 or 2 mpg. Get a tune up !

Quote Originally Posted by Henrythewound
    I keep track of my mileage for each tank and have noticed a drop from an average of about 19 mpg to ~17 mpg overall. I used to have some street tires on the 4Runner and now have BFG ATs. Could these tires have such a dramatic effect on mpg.
    The simple answer is YES...... same happend to me when I went from street tires to BFG at's.... you lose an average of 2-3 mpg........
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

You guys are all REALLY LUCKY!!!! I would LOVE to have your numbers...

Currently, I am getting 9.05 MPG - yes thats right NINE. ZERO FIVE. In real numbers, thats 65 Litres of fuel and 250kms til empty

This weekend I am putting new plugs in with hopes that it helps! And I am running HT tires at the moment. The engine runs VERY smooth and I also have a K&N

Ambient Air temperature at the moment is between 25-50 F

I pulled this off the government of Canada website
    http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportatio...ator-input.cfm

Fuel Cost
    $1.10

Distance travelled
    250 km
    155.35 miles

Fuel Amount
    65 litres
    17.17 US gallons
    14.3 Imperial gallons
    Cost of Fuel
    $0.02 per litre
    $0.06 per US gallon
    $0.08 per Imperial gallon

Fuel Economy
    26 litres per 100 km
    9.05 miles per US gallon
    10.86 miles per Imperial gallon

Mileage Costs
    0.44 ¢ents per km
    0.71 ¢ents per mile
    <br />98 4Runner Limited<br />1999 Suzuki GSXR750 - Sold Apr/08

.06 per US gallon?
    Fuel cost $1.10?

WTF?
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    .06 per US gallon?
    Fuel cost $1.10?

WTF?
    If you notice my location, I am in Canada so gas charged by the litre. 1.10 for regular 87 octane at the moment
    <br />98 4Runner Limited<br />1999 Suzuki GSXR750 - Sold Apr/08

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast