Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Camping with a trailer

Re: Camping with a trailer

Cool Thread. I went though this a few months ago. I was set on the Fleetwood cobalt or element, that is until I looked at one. They don't really have any suspension to speak of, just wider tires, and they are made pretty crappy. Once you step up to the E1 you get a better suspension with shocks and a nicer build.

I really wanted a StarCraft 11RT or Jayco Baja 10Y, I just missed out on a great used 11RT, all the other ones I found after that used were too expensive (>8K). I need need sleeping for 5 + 1 dog. Wound up getting mint used regular tent trailer (StarCraft 2107) for now. Figured we'd get some use out of it and experience so we would know what we really want when we are ready to move up. I really like the tent trailer because of the relative small size and large sleep capacity and the low wind profile. We use it as a base camp and it works great for the whole family. The heater is killer, below freezing last weekend in the low sierras and never below 60 in the trailer all night. Wife and kids love that.

I have it narrowed down to 2 classes of tent trailer for the next trailer. First is the larger trailer with bathroom and larger front deck for Bikes and firewood. Either a Jayco 10Y or the Starcraft 11RT. Second is a slightly smaller trailer that is more offroad friendly the Starcraft 10RT, Jayco 10Z (discontinues last year) or maybe the E1 but I dislike the black interior. If I cant get the cash together I may consider modifying our current trailer with a lift and better suspension.

Still plan on using the tent for the more hardcord quick trips with camping along the way. There are so many great state and federal parks in CA and the tent trailer opens up a whole new "camping" element we never considered before. One downfall of the trailer is you highway speed in CA is limited to 65-70 (55MPH speed limit) after that you stand a good change of being pulled over. Having the 12HP 3.0 your speed on the passes and steeper inclines is even further limited. Setup and take down is more than 2 minutes 10-15 minimum if you don't over pack the inside of the trailer. Still way faster than a tent, way more comfortable and way better in the cold and rain.

Those customs and offroads are really cool but they are just to small to fit the whole family into.
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

ike - Funny cuz I have Drew's thread saved under one of my bookmarks tab in my trailer folder His trailer is definitely coming together nicely and I must say there is no way I'd be able to partake in that kind of project. I just don't have the skills to do something like that. I know that you've been helping him out so props to you man! Isn't there a 3rd person helping out too? (don't remember)

Those teardrops are nice and would be awesome if I could stand inside it. Though it is nice to know that all you got to do is open the door and crawl in and not lift anything or set anything up.

Anyhow what really got me thinking beyond the "build your own military-ish trailer/Adventure trailer/tear drops" was Jenn's RV at Pismo. Being able to just walk in without crawling or slouching was a nice change. That definitely got me the first official bug of damn you mean I've been either camping in the 4runner or setting up my tent and calling that luxury? shoot... lol Call me a sucker but I've never done the luxury camping so setting up a tent on the ground or sleeping in the 4runner all nice and dandy.

But as I start to do more of these trips with my significant other, it's definitely not as cozy as doing it alone. Though having the company to do it with someone else is definitely a thumbs up it adds another level of difficulty by bringing more crap and another person to deal with. Not only this I've been considering introducing the 4 legged partner into the picture too so this will definitely make things infinitely difficult.

RobG - yeah I definitely agree on the suspension for the entry models. But I think that almost all of them are not up to snuff if you plan to take it on the dirt. Any pop up I decide on would definitely go through a nice overhaul on the axle/suspension so I can at least match my Toyota wheels Can you elaborate on the lack of the "nicer build" part on the cobalt/element? Aside from the crappy suspension are we talking about the frame and the overall finish of the shell and materials used for the trailer cabin itself? I'm curious as I if it's something I'm going to be upgrading then it's really not a big deal for me. If you have pics of your current config that'll be nice to see to give me a better perspective.

I guess I'm just looking long term where I know that I will still be doing these camping excursions as my family grows so having a nice/simple trailer to accommodate for the rest of family will be key on my abilities to be able to participate in the events. I am definitely with RobG on keeping my existing camping equipment for the backwood stuff but having a trailer to be able to setup the base camp is definitely something I'd love to do. Going faster than 70 is definitely not something I care to do anymore. the mpg on my 4runner is already piss poor so no need for me to want to go lead foot. my v8 already loves to guzzle gas like it's nothing so anything to keep me at a respectable speed is definitely a good change of pace
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

On a similar note I found this old link as an alternative...

Kamparoo Trailers

These would be nice purchased or built similar to as well
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

There is a Jayco Baja 10Y (the one that RobG mentioned) for sale on Sac craigslist:
    http://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/628242194.html

Lance, to be honest, you DO have the skills.

At the start of that build, Drew had no idea how to weld, and had no welder. He bought a $500 Lincoln Mig welder, used his CO2 tank from his truck, and got some scrap pieces and started practicing. The rest has been done with a $30 Harbor freight chop saw, a dewalt 4" grinder, a drill, and your average garage tools.

The only thing that was done specialty is our friend Ian who has a REALLY sweet tube bender, and another guy in the club who has a square tube die. Thats how the fenders and upper box rack got made. Those could have been done differently though.

He's just taken his time is all. Slow and steady with attention to details, but he didn't start out with any experience at all.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

Quote Originally Posted by Good Times
    RobG - yeah I definitely agree on the suspension for the entry models. But I think that almost all of them are not up to snuff if you plan to take it on the dirt. Any pop up I decide on would definitely go through a nice overhaul on the axle/suspension so I can at least match my Toyota wheels Can you elaborate on the lack of the "nicer build" part on the cobalt/element? Aside from the crappy suspension are we talking about the frame and the overall finish of the shell and materials used for the trailer cabin itself? I'm curious as I if it's something I'm going to be upgrading then it's really not a big deal for me. If you have pics of your current config that'll be nice to see to give me a better perspective.
    The cobalt looked cheap to me, the exterior seemed like a gray laminate that wouldn't take much abuse, the roof raise and support mechanism seem chincy, I really didn't like the black interior. After looking online I was convinced that it what I wanted, after looking at it I wasn't convinced. Thats just me though and it was a used one at a dealer. go look at one if you think it's what you want.

2 other things about the cobalt, it is an 8 foot box, that is really small for more than 1 or 2 people. A 10 foot is the smallest I would consider. A 10 foot box usually gets you one queen bed, an 8' is usually max of a double bed. And the cobalt doesn't have a fridge. I never thought I would use the fridge but it is great. Runs a long time on a little propane (or 12v or 120v) and keeps things very cold. No need to worry about Ice. It's small but great. Better than an engle since it runs on propane.

I looked at the Jayco Baja the most and felt that the suspension was adequate for I would do with it. The tire size seemed adequate, no way the wife is going to let me put 37's on the tent trailer. 31's are fine for easier trails, I don't think I would take it on anything that needed larger tires, too large and heavy.

Here is pic of mine, it is a 2000 fairly stripped model, a good starter unit for us and much cheaper than a new one. Not offroad capable but makes a good base camp, sleeps 6 with table seating for 6 too.

The craigslist Jayco is way overpriced for me. You could pick up a new one for not much more than that. I saw that fixeruper, looks like it should be a breeze after restoring your front end.

You are right that being able to stand up and just get out of the elements is huge. Especially for the significant others. I'd love the luxury of a travel trailer but I can't tow it and I don't have the room to store it so the tent trailer works better for us. Not as luxurious but way better than a tent especially in the cold and wet.
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

You can get em out where ever you want if you try.

This is about 2.5hrs off the freeway up by Truckee,Ca.

My Uncle takes his 5th wheel to some pretty crazy places when he goes hunting. He does Idaho, Montana, and what not.

He talked my Brother in to trying it out.
    We had that thing pretty flexed at times.

Was much better than tenting it, especially for meals, and when it started snowing on us.

These guys where up a few hundred yards from us.
    They had tent trailers and a smaller bumper pulled.

Much better,

I'll save ya from having to look at the heater on lounge pictures.
    Especially since it was after 8hrs of trekking thru the mountains.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

I think it would be nice to have a trailer at camp but the maintenance, hauling, driving 55, etc would be a pain. The topic has been brought up on a lot of different forums as you've noticed. Recently on Pirate:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=673339

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...=trail+trailer

The 600+ miles home from JT would have been slow hauling a trailer.

The thing I miss most when tent camping is a shower. Most RVs that have showers are 17+ feet in length and you won't be going offroad with anything of this size. I am still tent camping for this reason.

To make tent camping more enjoyable, I bought two really nice REI sleeping pads:

I now sleep much better at night. I still have a hot/cold temp regulation problem, which I will probably address by ditching my mummy-bag and going with a regular sleeping bag with a comforter on top. At this point, I should sleep the same as I would in an RV.

I have yet to get wet in a tent even though I am using the cheapest tent known to man.

Having a small sink with hot water is really nice to have for dishes and shaving in the morning. Coleman makes their "hot water on demand" system with a sink basin to address this issue.

At this point you have most of the luxuries of a sub-17 foot RV, except you can drive whatever speed you want both on and offroad and little preparation/cleanup before and after a trip. Oh yeah, and 20 MPG to boot.

I don't think you'll be happy with taking any RV offroad. I had an ultralight 4Wheel Pop Up Camper designed for offroad use and it was still painful on all but dirt roads. It gave me a sink with hot water, but still no shower. Sold it.

When I can afford it, (probably at retirement), I want a Class A with my 4Runner behind it. Now I've got my separate 4x4 for offroad use, a sink AND a shower and a large place to hang out on extended trips with foul weather.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast