Thread: 85' SFA questions

85' SFA questions

Hello all!

I am looking into picking up an 85' SFA this weekend. I am wondering if there are any specific things to look for in an axle? Common flaws, things to avoid. I will look the unit over as carefully as possible to ensure it is in solid shape.

Also, i am going to be paying $375 for the unit. It is complete, hub to hub and still has springs attached.

Is this too steep? I understand that the 85' axles are very sought after due to the factory gusset reinforcements top and bottom.

Essentially i want to make sure i am not rushing into this.

Any advice/links are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!!

-Shimek

(i think this goes without saying but i will be SAS'n my rig by the end of summer.)
    -Matt<br /><br />1988 4Runner, 22re, 5spd<br />1994 Mustang Cnvt, 302, 5spd

Re: 85' SFA questions

Sounds pretty fair to me. I cant really think of any common flaws to look for. As long as it sorta looks straight.
    My advice would be to rebuild the axle while you can still set it on a work bench. That is rebuild and reseal the knuckles, replace wheel bearings and possibly rebuild hubs for good measure.
    If I were in your place, I'd weld in knuckle ball gussets while I have the knuckles disassembled.

As seen here. From Marlincrawler.

&#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

It brings a tear to my eye, seeing your truck. Your truck looks like mine when I first bought it. The 85 axle is the one you want. I have never had a problem with flex at my knuckles, but it cant hurt to reinforce everything. While you got it on the bench, gusset, armor, locker, gears ?

I'm not sure what the prices are like in Wa, but for Ca that's an OK price. Not good but not bad.

Look for how badly the knuckle balls are pitted from rust. You can fix the pitting with some JB weld and sanding, but obviously the less pitting the better.

The axle should be straight but it's kinda hard to tell unless you remove the axle shafts. It'll be really hard to remove the shafts if the housing is bent. If it's been in an accident it'll be bowed front to back and the bump stops might be smashed. If it's been jumped it'll be bowed up and down.

Will you be keeping and using the third member? If so make sure it spins smoothly.

Like Tankota said, you'll be rebuilding it so I wouldn't worry about leaks too much.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

$375 for a stock front axle is almost double what people seem to be paying around here. Personally I wouldn't pay over $200. I wouldn't worry about it being an '85 or not, the bottom gusset isn't that hard to reproduce and could probably be ignored if you put the top gusset on from marlin, tg, etc. Stock front springs aren't anything desirable and stock steering parts are useless, just for the record.
    [quote author=fustercluck link=topic=2107.msg22283#msg22283 date=1188483178]<br />I&#39;m with Intrepid, there&#39;s no use making a project out of it.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Mistakes: Perhaps it is the purpose of your life to serve as an example to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidyota
    $375 for a stock front axle is almost double what people seem to be paying around here. Personally I wouldn't pay over $200. I wouldn't worry about it being an '85 or not, the bottom gusset isn't that hard to reproduce and could probably be ignored if you put the top gusset on from marlin, tg, etc. Stock front springs aren't anything desirable and stock steering parts are useless, just for the record.
    I agree 100% with intreprid except for on the price. I think a couple other guys from the so-cal group have payed nearly $500 for their axles. But then again prices vary with region. I'm sure there are more rusted out trucks being parted out up in WA than in sunny So-Cal. Thus our prices will be much higher.
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

I see them all the time on the central coast for around $150-250. They go quick though.

It was actually kinda fun when I rebuilt mine, except for finding out it was bent. I'm sure you've found roger browns page by now.
    Steve

Let me know if you have any more questions Matt.

mYnAmEiSmUdD, I moved your last post to the fab section.

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=4515.0
    Steve