SUNROOF WIRING APPENDIX
1996/98 to 1999/02 Overhead Console Mod

An alternative to cutting out the second hole in your 1999+ roof console’s lens is to actually wire up the switch/relay as it is meant to be used. After pouring over the Mitchell wiring diagrams, I realized which relay is needed to make the new console switch/lights work correctly.

On the older 4runners, there is a relay completely separate from the sunroof switch, whereas in the newer console, the sunroof switch and sunroof relay is one in the same. When you pull the original console down, as shown in Bob's write-up, you'll want to find these 4 plugs and have them hanging out of the headliner:
1- sunroof limit switch, 2- power for console light, 3- plug into sunroof switch, 4- BIG 12 port plug for existing relay (located above passenger side sun visor in the headliner).

Step 1- Unwrap/Cut away carefully the old, black electricians tape.
Step 2- You should notice at this point, 4/5 of the switch's wires are connected to the relay, 4/5 of the limit switch's wires are connected to the relay (set of wires from the sunroof motor), and the remaining 3 wires connected to the relay are: BLUE, WHITE/red, WHITE/black (larger 16 AWG wire).
Step 3- The last wire from each of the plugs is WHITE/black (grounds to the body). Cut both of these grounds with enough room to connect them to other wires.
Step 4- You only need to cut the BLUE, BLUE/red, and WHITE/black wires from the relay's plug to make the new console's controls functional. The rest (8 wires) are connected to the other 2 plugs.
Step 5- The only connector/plug remaining from the TRUCK'S harness should be the BLUE/yellow wire powering the lights. Cut the plug off for the new connection.
Step 6- Strip all wires and ready them for connecting to one another. I used male/female quick disconnect connectors with electricians tape, however butt/bullet connectors would suffice.

At this point, you should have 3 grounds, the BLUE wire, the WHITE/red wire, and the BLUE/yellow wire coming from the driver's side wiring harness.

Step 7- The new console's wiring harness should have 8 wires coming out of the connector (on the TRUCK'S harness side): BLUE/red, BLUE/yellow, WHITE/black (x2), RED, RED/blue, BLUE/white, WHITE. (As noted in the first picture of STEP 3 of Bob's write-up)
-BLUE/red connects to the WHITE/red from the truck's harness. ("ON" POWER to relay)
-BLUE/yellow connects to the BLUE/yellow from the truck's harness. (POWER to lights)
-WHITE/black connects to WHITE/black from truck's harness. (GROUND for lights)
-Larger 16 AWG WHITE/black connects to larger 16 AWG WHITE/black from truck's harness.
(GROUND for relay/switch in console)
-Remaining 4 wires route to the white connector (which connects directly to the sunroof
motor).

Step 8- The white connector with 5 wires coming out of it (last connector mentioned in step 7), has four wires routed to the aforementioned, 8-wire connector, and 1 wire (WHITE/black GROUND wire) routed to the TRUCK'S harness. With 1 GROUND wire remaining from the TRUCK'S harness, connect these wires.

Step 9- The ONLY wire remaining should be the BLUE wire from the TRUCK'S harness. I believe this was to power the old '96 relay anytime the truck was "OFF" or "ACC". It isn't used in the new wiring setup, so I just folded it and taped it so it wouldn't short circuit with any other wires. I may use it in the future as a hot POWER wire for accessories in/near the roof...

Step 10- Test all functions of your new console, and continue on in the write-up! You'll enjoy one-touch opening of the sunroof, the larger pocket in the console, and the clean finish of 1-button operation without cutting the lens!