Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitting 35's without Lift

Fitting 35's without Lift

Always been sort of anti-lift, and I'm finally getting a chance to bolt 35" tires to stock IFS. Here goes.

Before with the worn 33's. Removed the door to make work a bit easier.

35's

What we're working with. Typical beaten pinchweld, which isn't going to cut it anymore.

Fitting tires is the most fun you will ever have working on your truck.

Cutting the patch.

Patch in.

Left foot's view.

Sealant.

Undercoating.

Ran out of daylight, and didn't have a chance to get to the passenger side, but that will come about soon. 35's on.

The 35's are balanced with ~12 ounces of airsoft pellets and the ride is much smoother than ye old beaten 33's. Took it out on the interstate and it runs 3k RPM @ 70 compared to 4k RPM @ 70. It's nice not having to over-rev anymore.

Re: Fitting 35's without Lift

Nice work. But will you get any flex now? That rear tire looks awfully close to the bedsides.
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

Flex is not existent up front, but the rear flexes well.

Still far from finished cutting everything, bed included. The rims are 4" backspaced, and look like they will stuff the rear tires nicely. I will have to do some more minor trimming on the front and rear of the well though.

Ground to frame is 21.5" Forgot to put that in the first post.

I'm watching this closely.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

I know you said your an anti-lift person, but have you thought about installing say 1" body spacers. The height difference is almost unnoticeable but will give you considerably more tire clearance.

You say the front doesn't flex at all. Do you crawl the truck much? Just curious as to why you need 35's with no suspension upgrades. What gears are you running?

I recently upgraded to 35's from 33's too. But I have lots of suspension to back it up and bring the tires to their full potential. I also am not a fan of sky high lifts, my front springs are only 2 inches lift. But I do run 1" body spacers just for tire clearance.
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

Looks good, now cut the hell out of those fenders.
    [quote author=fustercluck link=topic=2107.msg22283#msg22283 date=1188483178]<br />I&#39;m with Intrepid, there&#39;s no use making a project out of it.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Mistakes: Perhaps it is the purpose of your life to serve as an example to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankota
    I know you said your an anti-lift person, but have you thought about installing say 1" body spacers. The height difference is almost unnoticeable but will give you considerably more tire clearance.
    Guess I just don't see a need to lift the truck if tires are clearing fine? You're running a flexy suspension up front. I'm not.

Don't see what the big deal is to do some cutting and welding.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankota
    You say the front doesn't flex at all. Do you crawl the truck much? Just curious as to why you need 35's with no suspension upgrades. What gears are you running?
    I had 5.29's installed long ago. Do I need 35's? Nah. I found a smokin deal on them through mossyrocks and had the gearing. Why not?

As for crawling, I guess I'm just a poser, I don't even really have the gearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidyota
    Looks good, now cut the hell out of those fenders.
    Honestly I don't think I'll have to touch the front fenders over what I did to clear 33's.

I'll post more pictures next weekend of the finished product. I'll try and get a buddy to bring a camera if we finish in time to wheel.

Well at the moment you have better gears than I do. I still have 4:88's in the diffs. :29's coming soon though.

What did the 35's do to your fuel economy. I know mine went considerably down, but I'm hoping it will improve with lower gears.

Sorry for being vague about the gears. I've got 5.29 diffs, but a stock transfer case.

I haven't really driven it enough to figure out how much gas I'm using. It will probably improve highway mileage because of the over-revving I had with 33's, but around the town will probably be worse.

One thing to take into consideration is these wheels and tires are HEAVY! They're probably 80 lbs a piece if I had to guess. That won't help mileage.

those trxxus tires are 70 pounds by them selves, if those are steelies, then they are about 35 to 40 pounds.. so more then 100 a piece actually.

Id do some suspension mods just to improve flex so that you can handle the terrain by going at it with an angle rather then having to square up each time imo.

The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast