Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re: Alignment issue

Re: Alignment issue

Andy, thanks for this info. I've been into the dealer twice now to get an alignment, all within 6 months. Lucky for me they knew I wasn't fooled about the 4 wheel vs 2 wheel alignment. However, they didn't fix the problem, and I can definitely tell they didn't torque anything down properly. I'm going to probably be getting some new tires this summer so I'll just wait till then assuming nothing gets too bad.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

I wish more noobs would read this before they posted because most of the time they could answer their own question just looking at the writeup. If your toe or camber is out you can get all sorts of shakes wobbles, etc at highway speed. The other problem is when people take their vehciles to shops that just don't have a clue. Every now and then you'll find a good mom & pop shop or a good tech at a tire chain store, but 9/10 times you'd be better off just going to a dealer.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Jamie, that was my problem, I did go to the dealer, twice. They have yet to fix the problem. My truck "leads" to the left, I was told it's a lead to the left, not pull to the left.

At $56 a pop, I'm up to $112 with them and hesitant to go back. Last time I went back, 2 months after I got the first alignment, they told me I must have hit a pot hole to have my alignment off that much. To which I replied that I didn't. Well, they didn't listen.

So now, I'm debating whether I should take it back to them and talk the lingo, or just say screw them and find somewhere else in town.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

if the alignment is off when you didn't hit anything, then they aren't torquing the bolts down properly. i put about 120-140 Ft-lbs on them.
    -andy

Ditto to what Andy said.

Did you ever get a machine printout before and after?
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

simple cycling of the suspension will loosen the pass rear and driver front cam lock-down bolts. compression cycles of the suspension work like a mini-impact gun set on a low setting to spin the bolts counter-clockwise. they have to be REALLY tight to keep them from backing out under just *normal* conditions. i've seriously considered coming up w/ a design for something to mechanically lock them down after adjustment.
    -andy

Jamie, yup, I did get a printout from before and after, I made sure this last time to get one.

But I think it's exactly what Andy said, just after a couple weeks it starts to lead to the left. If I find some time I'll call them and see what they say.

if the driver front comes loose, the cam will slip to the extreme outside adjustment. this will cause the driver wheel to have less caster, which will tend to lead the vehicle to the left since the contact patch is now tracking behind the passenger side and also has less force to keep it in a straight path. sounds like the problem to me...
    -andy

Ok, so this is something that happens gradually after an alignment(the leading to the left)?
    Too bad you didn't mark them with paint, but I totally agree with Andy, I bet the cams are moving.

Also if you got a printout while on the alignment machine both times, which values changed?

I got the Firestone Lifetime alignment for 130ish and I have gotten my junk aligned at least 4 times in the past year. I do it whenever I feel the slighest pull. Its a great investment IMO.
    1996 4runner SR5- Bunch of goodies that make it clunck<br /><br />2008 Acura TL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast