Thread: 1979 Triumph TR7

1979 Triumph TR7

Any of you fine folks in UY land own a 1979 Triumph TR7 convertible out there? I might be inheriting one from one of my dad's buddies. I haven't seen it yet, but I think he put a huge ass carb on it. Hopefully it'll be more than the estimated stock HP of 88! Anything I should lookout for? TIA!
    '99 Taco PreRunner V6 3.4L auto

Re: 1979 Triumph TR7

well seeing as the trainwreck that was british leyland made it, you might want to go and tighten every screw and bolt in the car, and probably redo the wiring. and the plumbing, and really just about everything in the car!

it is an amazing car, and if you ever think about selling it, you have to let me know! haha.

i think stock they were suppose to have just over 90 hp, and im sure in the last 30 years a bit of that has leaked out. parts are hard to come by and are expensive, but honestly i would return it to its stock form. you would be surprised how far 90 HP goes when the car only weighs a tick over a ton.

what kind of shape is the car in? you'll want to check for rust in the usual areas, signs of major collision damage, etc. if its an auto, check to make sure it shifts properly, if a manual, check that all the syncros work properly in and out of all gears, including reverse. check the front brakes for warped rotors and that the front and rear swaybars are in place.

2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Well, according to my dad's friend, it's been pretty well kept and in pretty good shape from what I hear, starts right up on the first try too. I should be able to see first hand in a few days how this thing looks and rides. He was gonna donate it to charity because he's got no room for it any more and my pops asked me if I wanted or not... I said I'd have to take a look first. I'll try and upload some pics after a few days when I'm able to take a gander at it. Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by humanoid
    Well, according to my dad's friend, it's been pretty well kept and in pretty good shape from what I hear, starts right up on the first try too. I should be able to see first hand in a few days how this thing looks and rides. He was gonna donate it to charity because he's got no room for it any more and my pops asked me if I wanted or not... I said I'd have to take a look first. I'll try and upload some pics after a few days when I'm able to take a gander at it. Thanks for the reply.
    DONATE TO CHARITY?!?!?! this is actually a pretty rare car in the states, esp after 30 years, and is highly desirable. if you dont want it, ask him what he wants and if i can afford it ill be down there in a day!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

The one I had when I was 16 would do 90mph running on only 1 carburetor (the 4cyl had twin sidedrafts and only one was opening at the time) and I could get the rear end squirely around most corners with just the gas pedal. It was a fun car, but it tought me to fear anything that says LUCAS ELECTRONICS.

for parts, check out VictoriaBritish.com
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    The one I had when I was 16 would do 90mph running on only 1 carburetor (the 4cyl had twin sidedrafts and only one was opening at the time) and I could get the rear end squirely around most corners with just the gas pedal. It was a fun car, but it tought me to fear anything that says LUCAS ELECTRONICS.

for parts, check out VictoriaBritish.com
    Corax, interestingly enough, that was the first site I went to when I googled the car! LOL