Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adding a new Toy work vehicle to the herd!

Adding a new Toy work vehicle to the herd!

Some of you may have noticed that I haven't been as active on here the past couple of weeks. Well, on top of the normal stuff (busy at work, 2 kids, inlaws in town, etc..), I have been on the hunt for a new work vehicle. So, I have been searching nightly (crazedlist.org rocks!), and I have been learning as much as a could about this vehicle on another forum.

The reason for another vehicle, gas prices are killing me and really mess with my cash flow between paychecks. My F250 gets 8mpg, so I have resorted to using my 4runner as much as I could. This involves a bunch of moving tools around, figuring out which vehicle to use etc... On top of that, my 4runner gets 13.5mpg around town with a little freeway driving. On top of the hassle of moving tools around, not enough room, still not good mileage, I hate that I have started piling on the miles on the 4runner. I've really started kicking myself for getting rid of my mazda b2300 when we got the tacoma. It got 20+ mpg, could haul a bunch of tools, the only downside was not being able to lock the tools up.

I started just cruising the local craigslist for an old 2wd toyota 4cyl longbed, and thought about adding a shell to it. I also couldn't afford to spend much money. Anyways, I rediscovered the toyota vans from 85-89, they also came in a cargo conversion. On top of that, from 87-89 they were offered in 4wd. The manual transmission 4wd has the 4hi and 4lo and the transfercase is pretty much identical to the 4cyl trucks of that era. The front ends are set up very similar to the 86-95 IFS trucks/4runners. They get 20+ mpg even when loaded, and with the rear seats removed, have a payload of close to 2,000lbs! I learned all this when I missed out on what I found out was an uber rare 87 4wd Cargo van w/ manual tranny and manual hubs! Another cool tidbit of info, many of these came with the retarded automatic hubs, but the manual hubs from a truck or 4runner will bolt right on and you just need to get the big washers and nuts like when you swap them out on a truck! So the search was on....

I have put a deposit on a 89 4wd manual tranny van in CO, I now only need to fly to CO and pick it up. I should say that the 4wd's are hard to come by and the 4wd manual tranny ones are even harder to find. Anyways, enough talking, on to the pics.

Oh and her name is "Vanna" and has been through two owners, so I figured I'll keep the name.

The good:
    New tires, alignment, windshield in Jan.
    New fuel injectors last year
    Bike racks
    Some kind of metal lock box in the rear
    Only 203,000miles (I say only because of how many you see on these things)
    They seem to have been on top of the regular maintenance
    I get to fly to CO and roadtrip solo home

The bad:
    Some rust on the right rear wheelwell (claims that it hasn't gotten worse over the 5years they have had it) I may have to take a trip to Bob the Rustman to take care of it and then herculine the rocker panels and wheelwells.

Has the automatic hubs, but I know where to look for manual hubs and will switch them out. (They have never had problems with them, but I don't trust them)

A radiator light that comes and goes due to a stuck float in the reservoir (pushing on the float makes it go away)

Brake light comes and goes but everything works well (I'm willing to bet that it is at the Min mark on fluid and when sloshing around triggers the light)

April is jealous that I get to fly to CO and solo roadtrip home! (I owe her a trip once Adelaide is no longer breastfeeding) She rocks!
    My signature

Re: Adding a new Toy work vehicle to the herd!

Here's a pic of the rust (Bob, you're going to be my new best friend )

Also, I may need some help from a UY member in the Denver/CO Springs area. I was supposed to fly out next Friday and our friends in CastleRock were going to pick me up and take me to get the van in CO Springs. Unfortunately, they forgot that they have a "Hut" trip that weekend that is already paid for. I haven't made plans yet, so I may be able to do the same thing but do it midweek after that. Anyways, if you are in CO and don't have plans next Fri/Sat, shoot me a PM.
    My signature

ill let some of the guys know to see if they could.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Thanks Blake! There is a chance that the owner of the van will be able to pick me up, so that would be even better. I'll keep ya posted.
    My signature

chris,

i owe you for your help on the pismo ticket, so i'd be more than happy to pay you back and help you out! it would be cool too to see my friend kaigo who lives in pismo as well as they just had a baby.

my assessment based on my experience is that there will probably be floor panel damage too on that vehicle and on the inner wheel well. the good thing though, if there is such a good thing with rust repair, is that there is a natural seam there that could be the cut line (about a 1/2" below it actually) for the sheet metal replacement. that way, when we weld, bondo, paint, etc it all up, it will be a much cleaner looking job than if it were in the middle of a panel.

now if you want to really be sure, i'd ask the owners to remove the seats in the back and lift up the carpet to see if any holes have breached the floor. if it has cut/eaten away structural center supports or especially through suspension supports that hold the axle, that is a dicey repair for me. having been through rust repair, it will add some $$$ to your purchase. i would definitely bargain down at minimum $1,000 to pay for the supplies and repairs. you can borrow my 120V welder, but again, i'll have to show you the ropes one weeekend.

chris, read my blog so you get an idea of what rust repair is like. yours wont be exactly like mine, but the process will be similar. like i said, take care of me on the weekend and I'll do as much as I can and pass on the knowledge and loan you my power tools to help you complete the job.

bob

oh, and since you're using this for your work truck, let's build a killer storage system too

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
    oh, and since you're using this for your work truck, let's build a killer storage system too
    Bob, you rock! I'll check your blog out. First I need to get this sucker out here. I probably will not be able to knock $1,000 off it since that is more than half what I'll pay for it, but that will definately give me some juice to work with once I'm there.

A storage system will be nice! I was also thinking of pulling the rear carpet out and herculining it along with the rocker panels once I get the wheelwell fixed.

I'll probably have April drive it to the Pismo 4rj, as the rear seats fold back to make a twinsize bed. It can easily be made to a queensize bed with some boxes/crates.
    My signature

awesome find man!!! sounds like it's time to get together and really fix up that bad boy and making into a new adventure vehicle!

the rust doesn't look promising though but I think after some tlc you'll be in good shape. if ya need a hand, just let me know! i'm gonna have to meet up with you soon anyway so it might be a great time to kill multiple projects at the sametime!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Quote Originally Posted by Good Times
    awesome find man!!! sounds like it's time to get together and really fix up that bad boy and making into a new adventure vehicle!

the rust doesn't look promising though but I think after some tlc you'll be in good shape. if ya need a hand, just let me know! i'm gonna have to meet up with you soon anyway so it might be a great time to kill multiple projects at the sametime!
    One way, would be to trim the rust out to fit 33's

Speaking of projects, since this is a work vehicle, this is going to need some diecut vinyl stickers with my logo/info for the side rear windows and the rear window.
    My signature

Chris,

Do you have your plane ticket yet?

Hopefully not.

Give me a pm i got a chunk of miles on Alaska and it would be no big deal to get you a ticket to Denver.

Just not sure which airport you would leave out of.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast