Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Adding a new Toy work vehicle to the herd!

Re: Adding a new Toy work vehicle to the herd!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5

Ok Chris, if you have plans to take this beotch out on some rocky trails, i'm going to ask you to do it before I do any welding repairs!

Hehe, I don't have any plans to do that anytime soon. It is just going to be fun/functional work vehicle w/ some weekend warrior stuff like the dunes or camping. I do need to build a rear bumper for it with an integrated hitch so that I can tow my M416. That should get some second looks while driving down the road.
    My signature

So what do you have planned for the graphics on the side? The reason I ask is that we will have to do some painting on the side after the rust repair. If for example, you paint the van a two tone scheme with a graphic stripe that covers the point where the two colors meet, that would be bitchen because then we wouldn't have to worry so much about how neat we are with the painting.

Bob, I'll go play with photoshop for a little bit and see what I come up with.
    My signature

Chris,

this is the concept i'm talking about (attached)

bob

Bob, I was planning on herculiner (or similar) up to the top of your white stripe. So we shouldn't have too much to worry about with the painting. Tape it off really well above that line, prep, , and try not to get any herculiner on your hootus.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Bob, I was planning on herculiner (or similar) up to the top of your white stripe. So we shouldn't have too much to worry about with the painting. Tape it off really well above that line, prep, , and try not to get any herculiner on your hootus.
    Chris,

Isn't herculiner grainy in touch/appearance? If yes, you probably know that that will make applying the graphic highly dependent upon a very tight and perfect paint line. Is there anything else that is just as tough but smooth and paintable?

oh hey chris, if you can get a compressor and a die grinder and a ton of cutting discs, that would be ideal. cutting with a grinder is a pain in the butt. some areas you will need a smaller tool (like dremel size) too

I've seen many who have done it on 4runners, 80's, tacomas, etc... One of the tricks is using a natural line or bend in the vehicle's body contours. That is why I was saying at the top of where you put that white stripe, because that is on an angle that returns to a flat panel and makes a natural break.

I am planning on doing this to the 4runner soon, I need to do it soon as I need to get my sliders put on. I'm not sure which brand I will use, but I will probably use one that you can use a roller/paintbrush. I think I know where to find a good pic of some on a 4runner, I'll see if I can find it.

Oh, by "graphic", are you referring to the business lettering? I will probably do vinyl cut stickers on the windows or that winperf stuff that will have the logo but you can still see through it. I can't find it right now, but they use it all the time in full vehicle wraps.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
    oh hey chris, if you can get a compressor and a die grinder and a ton of cutting discs, that would be ideal. cutting with a grinder is a pain in the butt. some areas you will need a smaller tool (like dremel size) too
    I've got a dremel and grinder (actually 2). I think my work compressor is too small, but I think I can borrow my dad's from his shop. I'll should pick up a die grinder anyways, so I'll be on the lookout for one.
    My signature

Here's aquick one I found about herculiner on an 80 series
    http://expeditionportal.com/forum/sh...military+tires
    My signature

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast