Thread: Is it really possible to be landfill-free?

Is it really possible to be landfill-free?

As we all do our part to be more environmentally safe by recycling and using more energy efficient products (I hope) there have been great strides made by major manufacturers to do their part to be "environmentally safe" on a larger scale. Subaru has been the first to claim that they are the first auto assembly plant to achieve the "zero landfill status" which means they don't have any trash that goes to the landfill. Every ounce of their trash either gets recycled or reused in one shape or form.

It's obvious that they can't do this on their own but rather partner with other companies to pick up their waste by selling it to recycle it into reusable goods so what does this really mean? I mean I am impressed by what Subaru has done but if the partnered company still ends up sending some stuff to the landfill doesn't that mean that Subaru is still sending some of their items indirectly to the landfill? I'm not trying to get into bashing Subaru or any other manufacturer as I know General Motors, Anheuser-Busch and Dell are also the growing list of manufacturers that are moving to this trend.

So the big question is, is it really possible for manufacturers to be 100% landfill-free? It's definitely good to see large firms be very proactive about changing their business practices and implement these steps to be better for the environment but is the statement valid and is it really possible?

Flame away!

Quote Originally Posted by Subaru
    The Subaru Clean Plant

Consider this: When you carry out your trash at home on the next collection day, you'll be sending more trash to landfills than the entire Subaru manufacturing plant in Lafayette, Indiana (SIA). The Subaru plant was the first auto assembly plant to achieve zero landfill status - nothing from its manufacturing efforts goes into a landfill. It's all reused and recycled.

* In 2006, SIA was awarded the U.S. EPA's Gold Achievement Award as a top achiever in the agency's WasteWise program to reduce waste and improve recycling.
    * In 2004, SIA became the first U.S. manufacturing facility to reach zero landfill status.
    * In 2003, SIA became the first U.S. automotive assembly plant to be designated a wildlife habitat. Deer, coyotes, beavers, blue herons, geese, and other animals live there in peaceful coexistence with the Subaru plant. It's our commitment to leave as small a footprint as possible, delivering real-world benefits that everyone can enjoy.
    * In 2002, SIA became the first auto assembly plant in the U.S. with an on-site solvent recovery system that produces dry still bottoms.
    * In 1998, SIA was the first auto assembly plant in the U.S. to be ISO 14001 Certified.
    * In 1994, SIA was also the first auto assembly plant in the U.S. to be smoke free.
    * Each year, SIA actively recycles 99.3% of excess/leftover steel, plastic, wood, paper, glass, and other materials. The remaining 0.7% is shipped to the city of Indianapolis and incinerated to help generate steam.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Re: Is it really possible to be landfill-free?

What do their workers do with the trash from their lunches that they brought from home? I guess they probably go by the "pack it in, pack it out" policy. Also, what about feminine products that aren't flushable?
    My signature