Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck leaning, need opinions and help soon!!

Truck leaning, need opinions and help soon!!

Hey guys, I searched and searched on that "other" board to no avail. My truck has been leaning to the drivers front for about a month now and swaying bad at highway speeds. I orignally assumed that it was the shocks and springs up front being worn out, and after some confirmation from that "other" board, I went ahead and replaced the front suspension with the same OME stuff I had on before. This did NOTHING for the lean or the wobble. So then I take it to get it aligned hoping that it is the problem... fixed it somewhat for about a day, still was leaning about an INCH on the drivers front side.

Fast forward to today, I am fed up with not being able to go wheeling because all my spots are an interstate trip away, so I take it to Toyota for their 42.50 diagnostic fee. They come back and tell me, well, you need a new passenger inner tie rod for $340... (I almost started laughing at them...) then your also going to need BOTH upper AND lower control arms for the rear axle because they are worn out and the axle has shifted an INCH (sound familiar?) to the passenger side. This one I didnt know much about, so after some quick research at home, I discovered a Sonoran Steel adjustable panhard bar would most likely fix the alignment issue, and just to be safe, order the unbendable DOM lower links he has also. Toyota wanted $840 to replace the parts, I can do it myself for $425 (sound better? I sure thought so). Then, they tell me my transmission mount is worn out/busted/broken whatever they said it was, and that it would be $350 to fix that. I didnt know anything about this either, so after a little more research I discovered the actual part was about $80 and looks to be attached by all of about 4 bolts.

So my questions to you guys and girls is, do you think the leaning could be contributed to the rear axle being so far off center? Could it be due to the tranny mount? Is this the only tranny mount?

How hard is that to replace by myself or with a buddy helping me?
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

Re: Truck leaning, need opinions and help soon!!

It COULD be a rear axle issue, I wouldnt put all my money on that though, definitely a bigger contender for the wobble cause though. You sure you have those OME's on the correct sides? All the wieght is on the driver (you and the gas tank) so one spring is usually longer than the other, but some lean is relatively inevitable.

Consequently, I dont think the lean is caused by the tranny mount, but if it is broken, it very well could lead to your wobble also.
    from the pic it doesnt look broken/busted/worn out to me...

Did they give you any other details?
    and yes that is the only mount for the tranny. and yes its like 4 bolts into the tranny, and one into the crossmember. Check out 4XInnovatios new tranny mount, it may be what you are looking for. (www.4xinnovations.com)
    ...Also one way or another, it should be easy to replace.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I'm totally confused?????

For starters nothing you mentioned would cause the leanning issue, possibly the springs were put in on the wrong side.(left spring vs right spring)

As for wobble, a worn out tie rod could cause the problem

If that image is of your transmission mount, I can't see anything wrong with it, unless the rubber is separated from the metal frame. I can't see how the links on the rear are worn and they claim it's off to the passenger side???? Usually lifting will offset to the drivers side....
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

hahaha, your confused... just imagine me!!!

okay, i dont think its the springs being on the wrong side, because it was leaning before i replaced them.

i plan on replacing the inner tie rod as soon as possible to eliminate that as a possibility in the wobble

whenever you let off the gas or get on it, it feels like the truck is lurching up on the left driver side.

when you are physically behind the vehicle, you can actually see the axle being mis aligned

Chris, I couldnt find a transmission mount at 4x, only a transfer case mount, am i just not seeing it?

here is a picture of the tranny mount showing a little bushing that isnt connecting to the bottom piece... is this what you speak of?

Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

been in an accident? frame bent?

the infamous lean - I agree that you probably have the wrong coil on the wrong side. Try swapping the all 4 corners and see if this fixes the problem. worst case go back to stock and see if the lean exists. on a side note did you install a body lift on just one side only? just wondering (doubtful but i gotta ask - too many unknowns)

replace any boots that look worn - steering, arms etc

are any of your rear links bent? if so this could be the culprit on the axle being misaligned. when you lift the rear will get misaligned but nothing extreme so either your links are bent or your frame/axle is bent.

the tranny mount looks fine so don't bother there. that'll be your last option.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

havent been in any accidents recently, and this is a fairly recent occurance. as i said before, the truck used to sit level, then one day for no apparent reason, it sagged. no changes were made, i replaced the springs and the shocks, still no change.

i am really starting to wonder about the left front sagging an inch and the rear axle being shifted to the passenger side by an inch... is this just coincidence or something more?

i'm sure you don't want to hear this but i highly recommend you remove your suspension (all 4 corners) and visually inspect to make sure the right height coil is installed. i still believe the coils are not installed correctly and it just took a bit longer before it seated and now showing the lean.

the axle shift is a coincidence so i wouldn't worry about it. the lift is most likely causing the axle shift which is no biggie. we all experience this.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

okay, lets be clear, i am COMPLETELY willing to remove the suspension on all 4 corners and visually inspect everything. so im not sitting down here thinking you all are idiots, quite the opposite, which is why i posted this here.

these are the known facts. i had the OME 2.5" kit with the heavy duty front springs/shocks on my truck for 70,000 miles. truck sat very level, never had an issue. then about 2 months ago, the wobble on the interstate started happening and the lean appeared. nothing changed, no new tires, no new anything. one day it was fine, one day it leaned. in mid january i took my truck to north carolina to do some snow camping. it was sitting level then, then around mid feb or early march, it started all these issues. so something changed, i just dont know what yet.

i am really not thinking it is the springs on this one guys, give me a reason to believe otherwise, and i will check them out first thing tomorrow. again, i am not trying to be a smart ass on this, i just dont see how it could be the springs

Quote Originally Posted by BruceTS
    The problem is the axle won't be shifted to the passenger side with a lift, it'll only be a 1/2" difference to the drivers side, that's 1/4" out of alignment. Check to see if your missing a bolt in one of the top links or a upper rear shock mount busted.
    no missing bolts and no busted shock mounts,

so why is my axle shifted to the passenger side? not only did toyota tell me that it is shifted to that side, but the local alignment shop did and you can VISUALLY see it, ill take a picture tomorrow to show you what i mean.

thanks again for all your help guys, it means more than you know to have such a wealth of knowledge literally at your fingertips

if you can visually see the alignment out on the rear, then that is the first place I'd look for your problem. Something in the back is way out of whack and should easily be seen. Since you can't find the problem and I can't see your rig, take a series of pictures of the rear suspension, all the link mounting points and shots of the links. You have to take the spare tire out for better reference.

The only time I've experienced the wobble you mentioned is when I lost a bolt out of one of the links.....
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast