Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recycling Rainwater

Recycling Rainwater

Does anyone have a barrel/drum setup to recycle rainwater? I want to get 1 or 2 for our backyard but I have no idea where to buy a ~55 gallon drum for cheap... and I definitely do not want to pay shipping on these.

Any suggestions on what kind of companys would sell these for cheap?

Re: Recycling Rainwater

If you have one of those self-serve coin op carwashes in your area, try to catch it when someone is working there. They probably get the soap in at least a ~35gallon plastic container if not bigger. Who knows they may just give them to you. We used the ones from our carwash to fix my grandparents dock at the lake. I'm sure once we ran out of uses for them, we would give them to someone who asked. The bigger ones probably run through a barrel or so a month (if not more).
    My signature

Not sure about where you are at, but down here, the dump has literally hundreds of those 55 gallon plastic barrels. They use a lot of them just to mark the roads and whatnot, but I bet you could ask somebody for a couple.

Just my $.02.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

carwash places. They'll have a lot and usually will let you have them for free. At my old job we'd pick them up pretty regularly.

There are some caustic chemical in those drums so be sure to wear gloves and wash out REALLY good with water.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Food manufacturers will have them too. There are a lot of syrups and fruit additives that come in those blue barrels.

One thing to keep in the back of your head for when you set up your barrel is to prevent them from becoming moskeeto breading grounds by putting some wire mesh over your inlet.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

garrett,

craiglist! type in:

- biodiesel
    - plastic barrels
    - plastic drums

i bought 3 of them for $10 each. make sure you get food grade barrels and always ask the seller what they have been used for. try to find ones that have been used for water, for obvious reasons. oh, try to get the ones w/ the screw off lids. if not, you will have to buy a bung cap remover or make one yourself

...yes, i said bung

bob

I've never heard of people recycling water...
    how's it done?
    and what will you use it for?
    1990 v6 4runner
    Engine: Chevy 4.3 Vortec/Edelbrock Performer Intake & Carburetor
    Front: Trail Gear 3in. Lift Leafs / Bilstein Shocks / ARB Air Locker
    Rear: Chevy 63in. Leafs / 3in. blocks / OME Shocks / ARB Air Locker
    Tires: 35 x 12.50 x 15

Quote Originally Posted by gabe
    I've never heard of people recycling water...
    how's it done?
    and what will you use it for?
    Basically the gutters from your house run into the barrel so that it collects the rainwater. The main thing that it is used for is watering the yard.
    My signature

maybe recycling is a misnomer since you are getting it for free.

people will collect rain water and use it to water their plants during the dry season, drink, etc. biodieselers use it to wash their almost completed biodiesel.

I think that I was imagining something more high tech, that's cool though....
    1990 v6 4runner
    Engine: Chevy 4.3 Vortec/Edelbrock Performer Intake & Carburetor
    Front: Trail Gear 3in. Lift Leafs / Bilstein Shocks / ARB Air Locker
    Rear: Chevy 63in. Leafs / 3in. blocks / OME Shocks / ARB Air Locker
    Tires: 35 x 12.50 x 15

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast