Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The death to the diesel hybrid even before production

Re: The death to the diesel hybrid even before production

thanks, ken. my reading comprehension is not what it used to be

Bumping an old thread. Just read an article I found interesting: "Why are there no diesel hybrid cars?" It's a good read, but I found one thing of particular interest--"Diesel fuel in America is currently much worse than gasoline in terms of miles per gallon of crude. That is because l like it or not, the US refineries create much more gasoline from a gallon of crude than diesel. The EIA says it is 11 gallons of diesel and 19 gallons of gasoline per barrel. Since we are already a net importer of liquid crude, why import more just to switch to diesel?" That is the first good explanation I have ever seen for why diesel costs more than gasoline.

Another source for the production of gasoline vs diesel per gallon of crude:
    http://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/i...e=oil_refining

Hmm interesting, that does help explain the cost of diesel.
    I always thought it was the cost of production, but then at the same time that didn't make too much sense to me since I was under the impression diesel was still cheaper to refine then gasoline?

I would really still love to see more diesels here in the US.
    I hear Mazda is currently working on a motor that's a perfect blend of performance and economy with out having to introduce the new Urea injection, that has pretty much killed the diesel MPG that older diesels get. I have been looking to pick up an older diesel truck, but it is insane how the price of older diesel has sky rocketed, my neighbor has an 2000 F250 4 door short bed 4wd diesel and was offered 11k, mind you the truck has 260K miles on it!

I don't fully buy that explanation though, especially in countries where diesel is more common, like most of Europe.

Diesel's downfall is the narrow power band. This means lots of shifting. What it does have going for it is low end torque. Coupling a diesel to a hybrid drivetrain, I think, would keep that diesel in it's sweet spot and provide more torque to drive an electric motor. Especially in a series hybrid configuration. This is why they use it on locomotives.

I do like diesel cars, but hearing a New Beetle that sounds like a 50 year old John Deere tractor just puts me off.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12