Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10mm, grade 8 Bolts

10mm, grade 8 Bolts

Where should I go to pick up a handful of 10mm bolts similar to the stock bolts on our 3rd Gen 4runners?

I've come to the sad realization that 3 years of the winter salt up here has pushed my rig into needing a shot of PB Blaster on every bolt, every time I do some wrenching. This learning process has come at the sacrifice of 3-4 10mm bolts that I need to replace.

I can go to several hardware stores in town, but their metric selection is pretty bad, plus they don't tend to carry grade 8 metric bolts.

Where would you go?

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Re: 10mm, grade 8 Bolts

i found a local ace hardware that has a nice grade 8 selection which makes me very happy, home depot has crap. I'm interested to hear if anyone has a favorite online source though.
    Brian

the local ace here has hardly any grade 8 metric bolts.

try yellow pages to see if they have local hardware stores that arent related to ace. might have better selection and service.

the ace back home is owned by locals and is very well stocked.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

For my favorite online source, if McMaster-Carr doesn't have them, they don't exist...
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Ace Hardware and McMaster-Car, both good ideas. The only thing about McMaster-Car is not being able to put said bolt next to the list of contenders to verify "identicality"

If you were to search McMaster-Car, what thread count would you look for? I always seem to get the wrong bolts when there is a choice of fine and course threads.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Metric come in (usually, as it relates to our use) 1, 1.25, 1.5 - that would be thread pitch in millimeters. If you have a boxed tap & die set, there would be a thread pitch gauge in there.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby
    Metric come in (usually, as it relates to our use) 1, 1.25, 1.5 - that would be thread pitch in millimeters. If you have a boxed tap & die set, there would be a thread pitch gauge in there.
    You could also buy nuts in those pitches to "measure" a bolt you have.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox
    You could also buy nuts in those pitches to "measure" a bolt you have.
    Both good points. It's going to take some research either way to make sure I know all the spec's for these bolts.

Erich
    -Erich
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

I might as well ask if anyone else has the specs on the normal bolts on our rigs that use the 10mm and 12mm sockets?

I'm going to make a trip to our True-value tomorrow, but maybe someone else knows.

Erich
    -Erich
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

McMaster is your best source. Also your looking for grade 8.8 which is the equivelent (more or less) to SAE grade five. I am sure your also looking for those famous M6x1.25 which normally take a 10mm wrench. Metric grade 10.9 is equivelent (more or less) to SAE grade 8, which your only gonna find IN your motor or drivetrain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast