Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $1 / gallon of ethonal plant in US for 2009!

$1 / gallon of ethonal plant in US for 2009!

Woot Woot! In time for the $5 in gas we'll be payin

Quote Originally Posted by Martin LaMonica @Cnet
    Cellulosic-ethanol company Coskata on Friday announced that it has broken ground on a plant in Pennsylvania that will be operating by early next year.

Coskata has a technology that combines a gasification chamber and a bioreactor to make ethanol from a variety of feedstocks, such as wood chips or even tires. General Motors, Khosla Ventures, and Advanced Technology Partners are investors.

The $25 million plant in Madison, Pa., will make 40,000 gallons per year. At that size, it's meant to demonstrate the process at commercial scale. Its plans also call for a full-scale facility, producing 50 million gallons to 100 million gallons a year of ethanol, by 2011.

The company has said it can produce ethanol at $1 per gallon and that its process is clean, able to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 84 percent, compared to gasoline. Corn ethanol, meanwhile, makes about the same greenhouse gases as gasoline production.

The plant-building plans were announced by Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell. Many states are eager to provide incentives to start-ups like Coskata, such as tax breaks, to create clean-tech "clusters."
    Source: CNet
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Re: $1 / gallon of ethonal plant in US for 2009!

Go ethanol! The invisible fuel.. It does virtually nothing for energy independence, yet drives the price of EVERYTHING else up. Yay!

We're already rationing grain sales here in America because of this bullsh!t. Which is something I never thought I'd live to see. And let's not mention the poor third-world folks who depend on American grain to survive. Their American-grain-induced flatus is probably contributing to gorebull warming, anyway.

Here's a suggestion, albeit radical:
    Grow grain for food, and DRILL for f-cking oil...

Nah, that makes too much sense.

'95 4Runner, 3.0, Auto, 140K.

mr. chicken,

110% agreed, except it appears they are using by products, not the whole usuable/edible corn like traditional ethanol uses.

While I support alternative energy and even ethanol to a certain extent, I completely disagree with using foods for the production of fuels. There are other things that can be used to create biofuels. For instance Jatropha, which is an invasive weed, can be used to produce biodiesel. This plant in PA will create biofuel (ethanol) out of waste products.. or atleast such is the goal. Ethanol is less efficient than gasoline in that it its combustion does not produce as much usable kinetic energy, and its production from certain products releases significant amounts of carbon dioxide gas. But their aim here is to eliminate the downfalls of ethanol.

Plus ethanol still allows for internal combustion engines, which in turn can have bitchin exhaust notes.. fuel cell is cool and all, but damn.. having an dead silent BMW M5 would just be wierd =\
    -Ned<br /><br />1997 4Runner 4x4 3.4L V6 Black<br />OME/TRD Lift | 265 Pro comp MT | AR Bajas 16x8, Kenwood Excelon KDCx789 | Polk DB650 speakers | WabFab Discos | Other stuff<br />

Quote Originally Posted by dontdo_that
    While I support alternative energy and even ethanol to a certain extent, I completely disagree with using foods for the production of fuels. There are other things that can be used to create biofuels. For instance Jatropha, which is an invasive weed, can be used to produce biodiesel. This plant in PA will create biofuel (ethanol) out of waste products.. or atleast such is the goal. Ethanol is less efficient than gasoline in that it its combustion does not produce as much usable kinetic energy, and its production from certain products releases significant amounts of carbon dioxide gas. But their aim here is to eliminate the downfalls of ethanol.

Plus ethanol still allows for internal combustion engines, which in turn can have bitchin exhaust notes.. fuel cell is cool and all, but damn.. having an dead silent BMW M5 would just be wierd =\
    which is why i have no effing idea why hemp and sugarcane are not used more. our gov must be idiots not to try other sources for fuel.

ethanol ethanol and ethanol, wtf? others out there
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept
    Quote Originally Posted by dontdo_that

which is why i have no effing idea why hemp and sugarcane are not used more. our gov must be idiots not to try other sources for fuel.

ethanol ethanol and ethanol, wtf? others out there
    Sugarcane is used because turning that into ethanol is very easy. Hemp is no different than grass clippings, wood chips, etc. Hemp is a source of raw cellulose, not raw glucose.

Sugarcane isn't used because it can't grow well in many places of the US thus making it useless for us. Hemp isn't used because grass, wood, and corn stalks would work just as well.

Ethanol will only be a sustainable source of fuel if it can be derived from cellulose. We are ALL feeling and seeing the effects of what happens when we use corn as a source.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

what about soybeans? i know that illinois has some farms up there for the production of soybeans as the main derivative
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

they need to use something that isn't a major part of the food industry. The idea of alternative fuels has pushed up prices. Hopefully the focus can be turned to prairie grass or some other plant that we don't rely on for food.
    02 Sport (Sporticus)<br />881 / 906 OME Combo, 275/65/16 Faulken High Country AT&#39;s, Syntheic Fluids,Brembo / Hawk Combo and two car seats for the future wheelers<br /><br />2010 Highlander SE- Wife&#39;s kid transporter.<br /><br />1998 Tacoma- 2.7 liters of fury...after that is pretty plain and stock

Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept
    what about soybeans? i know that illinois has some farms up there for the production of soybeans as the main derivative
    Soybeans = food

fuel is meant to be burned for power

You wouldn't burn bread to heat your house, would you?

Utilizing a food source, no matter how basic, is a terrible idea for fuel. Because as population grows, BOTH fuel and food production need to go up. If both don't go up, we see the price of both go up as well.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

why dont they use the damn Kudzu that covers 800 million acres of the South? It's basically useless and is IMPOSSIBLE to kill...
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast