Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Gen 4Runner Tube Door Build

3rd Gen 4Runner Tube Door Build

I've decided to build my own set of tube doors since nobody currently makes any. I'm going to use 2" by .120" wall HREW steel for the doors with home made latches. I got 40' of steel Friday and miscellaneous other parts for the latches/ speakers etc. I'm following Cubuff's design from TOF. Now onto the pics...
    Car with tarp where doors used to be (about to rain)

Mock-up of front doors

Door latch parts

1 of 4 10ft. pieces of steel

It's going to take me a while to get these done (have exams soon). I don't have access to a welder until I get home, so for now I'm just trying to get the mock-ups perfect and the steel cut into the pieces I need.

Re: 3rd Gen 4Runner Tube Door Build

yeah yeah!! cant wait
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

oohh!! i cant wait either... subscribed!
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

I know you want to build it tough. The doors are only as strong as the hinges, especially without a door jamb. Is there a plan for the hinges, or when the door takes a hit, is it in your lap ? Sorry but too many places build from 2" and hook it to 1/8" door hinges.

Just my 2 pennies

I will be re-using the stock hinges, which should be beefy enough to take an impact. Besides, if I were to get hit from the side, my slider would take most of the impact first (given that it were not an overly lifted truck or semi)

Some people would say the 2" is to bif of a tube for tube doors, and I think beforehand, i would have agreed, but my bumper, sliders, and doors for my '84 are all made out of 1/75" DOM, and it grew on me quickly. Best of luck with these things! I cant wait to see the finished product!!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I like my hermetically sealed cab, besides it would be a PITA disconnecting the wiring each and every time....
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

I ran my tube doors along the bottom as well to take some stress off the hinges and latch. Might want to do that if your worried at all.
    97 runner and 02 tundy

Quote Originally Posted by BruceTS
    I like my hermetically sealed cab, besides it would be a PITA disconnecting the wiring each and every time....
    The wiring is just 4 clips for the front doors (2 per side) and the rear is just 2(1 per side). Since they are just bunches of wires, its pretty easy to disconnect. It does take a little bit of time to get the doors off and on, but I've gotten it down to about 10 minutes to take off the drivers front and rear doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossyrocks
    I ran my tube doors along the bottom as well to take some stress off the hinges and latch. Might want to do that if your worried at all.
    I thought about doing this. Considering the tube doors will weigh less than the stock doors I'm not too worried about them being overstressed considering I'm re-using the stock hinges. Thank you for the idea though, I really like your tube doors.

I decided to change the design of the front door (top) to match the rear door

I also picked up one a cheap miter saw and some steel blades to help with cutting angles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast