Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: time to fix MY leaning issue!

time to fix MY leaning issue!

so, this has been going on for a while now, though not really sure just how long.

so, the right side of my truck is significantly lower than the left. illustrated by this picture:

[img width=800 height=600]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/hamiltoncomputers/lean/DSC02434.jpg[/img]

here is pictures of the right side upper a arm and a measurement:

[img width=800 height=600]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/hamiltoncomputers/lean/DSC02436.jpg[/img]
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/hamiltoncomputers/lean/DSC02441.jpg[/img]

look how far the upper a arm is up, and compare this with the left side and its measurement:

[img width=800 height=600]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/hamiltoncomputers/lean/DSC02437.jpg[/img]
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/hamiltoncomputers/lean/DSC02438.jpg[/img]

it gets interesting as we move to the rear, on the left its as we expect:

[img width=800 height=600]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/hamiltoncomputers/lean/DSC02439.jpg[/img]

but on the right its significantly lower:

[img width=800 height=600]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/hamiltoncomputers/lean/DSC02440.jpg[/img]

this all leads me to believe my differing sizes of rear coils are to blame. but does that account for that much of a drop on the front right? could i have bent my coil? i have had 2 very hard landings on that one coil, enough to do damage to retaining hardware.

so there will be a call to steve at sonoran steel tomorrow, as when i purchased my lift, i got two different coils for the rear, but the newer kits come with the same coils for both sides. also worth mentioning, i am swaybar free front and rear, the panhard bar is properly adjusted, and i cant see anything that is bent/broken.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: time to fix MY leaning issue!

have you tried swapping sides with the rear coils? maybe you have them on the wrong sides
    Joe<br /><br />1997 4runner limited<br />Sonoran Steel #1 lift, 1&quot; 4crawler bl, LC wheels, 295 Terra Grapplers, deckplate, satoshi grille, extended rear diff breather...

nope, coils are on the correct sides.

[img width=800 height=600]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/hamiltoncomputers/Lift/DSC01888.jpg[/img]

thats a pic from when i first installed, coils on the proper sides and it sat level left to right. the coils are on the same sides still, but sit unlevel.

even if they were swapped, it would cause my truck to lean left due to the left coil being longer than the right (which i think is the source of my problem)

as for the front coils, they should be the same way. longer on the drivers side, or identical.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

so wait, your saying when you first installed the rear springs it sat level, but it no longer does?
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

correct, as far as i know, this lean developed after about a year of having the lift installed, which leads me to believe something is bent or broken, but i cant find anything like that.

it could be that over that time the rear coils have sagged to their final resting places, the right being lower than the left. i am just unsure.

could it have been slightly less than level before? maybe, but not to this degree.

well, any recent events that could have caused something to bend or fail? blown out shock?

have you tried swapping the coils yet to see if it follows the coils?
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

so, called steve, he is pretty sure ive blown my front right shock from the little incident at pismo.

so i have a few choices. try to RMA the shock back to tokico, which since it was kind of my fault, i kinda dont feel right about doing, but it is the least expensive way to go. i could buy a new tokico green, not a horrible option. finally, i could go all out and replace both front shocks with what steve now uses in the kit, the 5125 bilstein's (which i cant immediately find from anyone but steve). final cost on that last item is up in the 250 ish range all said and done.

what do you guys think?

also. you think its fine to wheel it this weekend? i have been driving around on it since october.

pffft.....drive it.

personally I would go with the new billies.
    But thats just me, and my plans include billies anyway, a new tokico green isnt a bad option though, except then you have semi mismatched shocks (face it, they wear, and one is going to be 'better' than the other) a new front pair of tokicos, are probably chepaer than the billies, and is an option, or go with RMA to Tokico. you can at least try. If ythey say hey, you broke it, no way, then dont fight it, just purchase something new, but if they say oh, wow, okay, heres a new one, then thats just great customer service.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

the shocks were already mismatched anyway, about a year ago the top threads of my right side stripped off because of a supplied 1/2 inch nut instead of a M12 nut. that was about 4-6 months after the initial install. at that point i rebuilt both sides.

i think i also might consider limiting straps that will take most of the downward force incase this happens again accidentally (which it will.. it always does).

also have to add that steve's customer service is again, very excellent! he comes highly recommended from me!

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    so, called steve, he is pretty sure ive blown my front right shock from the little incident at pismo.

so i have a few choices. try to RMA the shock back to tokico, which since it was kind of my fault, i kinda dont feel right about doing, but it is the least expensive way to go. i could buy a new tokico green, not a horrible option. finally, i could go all out and replace both front shocks with what steve now uses in the kit, the 5125 bilstein's (which i cant immediately find from anyone but steve). final cost on that last item is up in the 250 ish range all said and done.

what do you guys think?

also. you think its fine to wheel it this weekend? i have been driving around on it since october.
    bil 5125 are avail at a lot of the offroad shops... ie trail-gear

http://trail-gear.com/shocks.html
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast