Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitting 17" FJ Alloys on a 3rd gen

Fitting 17" FJ Alloys on a 3rd gen

So, I'm going to make my own thread since I should stop jacking other peoples' threads...

Anyway, I got a set of 17"x7.5" FJ Cruiser Alloys, and am figuring out what to do about fitting them with 285x70r17's...

The backspacing on the FJ rims is 4.84" according to FJCruiserForums.com -

Wheel Backspacing / Offset Explained

Quote Originally Posted by FJCruiserForums
    ...so our 7.5inch wheel is actually 8.5" and the center line is 4.25" from the back, the center line is always the 0 offset point on any wheel. our wheel is +15 offset, +offset is added to the back space of the wheel so our back space is 4.25inches plus 15mm = 4.25" + 0.59" = 4.84"
    I'm currently running 5-spoke 4Runner alloys, which AFAIK have 4.375" backspace, giving a difference of .465". If I run 285's (which I will) they will rub the UCA unless I space the rims. Ideally, I think I would like a 0.5"-1" spacer, but it seems that those may not be available. Spidertrax spacers have been suggested to me, but at 1.5" I'm afraid that they will be too wide since my 4Runner doesn't have limited flares (and I'll be ditching the SR5 flares eventually). 1.5" spacers will stick the edge of the tire out a total of 1.5" wider taking into account the wheel being 0.5" wider than the 5-spoke 16x7's.

So, what say you guys? Do you know of any spacers that are smaller than 1.5"? Maybe a 0.75" spacer that uses shortened studs for use in the spacer-hub connection, and then has full-length studs for the wheel? Don't make me just design my own up...
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Re: Fitting 17" FJ Alloys on a 3rd gen

It wont stick out too far. Just go with the Spidertrax spacers. They are quality. I wouldnt go with any other spacers. If you run small spacers you wont have enough of the wheel studs showing. I guess you could change all the wheel studs so they do. That would be a huge waste of money though. The spidertrax spacers are wide for a reason. They are thick enough so that the existing studs are now used to bolt on the spacer, and the spacer has new studs. They are also hubcentric. If you got something else you would have to make sure that they are hubcentric. If they arent, you will have major balance issues that will only be able to be solved by taking them off. The spidertrax spacers are made for our trucks. They are done right. Quit driving yourself crazy already and just order them.
    Any of you like Guns? Hit me up for great prices! www.gunsupfirearms.com

Pictures...

Here's where the 285x75r16 Revo's sit right now:

Here's vertical pictures showing how far the tires would stick out... 1.5" wider is WAY outside the flares... Too ghetto for me I'm thinkin; I mean half inch more is one thing, but an inch and half more?

Rear

Front
    Last edited by mastacox; 09-01-2017 at 07:08 PM.
    Brian
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by xonetruthcrewx
    It wont stick out too far. Just go with the Spidertrax spacers. They are quality. I wouldnt go with any other spacers. If you run small spacers you wont have enough of the wheel studs showing. I guess you could change all the wheel studs so they do. That would be a huge waste of money though. The spidertrax spacers are wide for a reason. They are thick enough so that the existing studs are now used to bolt on the spacer, and the spacer has new studs. They are also hubcentric. If you got something else you would have to make sure that they are hubcentric. If they arent, you will have major balance issues that will only be able to be solved by taking them off. The spidertrax spacers are made for our trucks. They are done right. Quit driving yourself crazy already and just order them.
    Do you mean lug centric?

I'll bet I could design up a set of spacers like the spidertrax that uses smaller studs for the inner, and standard length for the outers; but I'm not sure I could get them made for under $200... How tall is a standard lug nut (not acorn style)? Half inch?
    Brian

No, hub centric.

Gotcha, because the FJ wheels are hub centric...

It appears the Spidertrax hub-centric spacers are 1.25", a bit better...
    Brian

So, it looks like the absolute minimum thickness spacer I could design myself would be 0.75".

You can see the splined press-fit portion of the stud is about .7", and the nut is about 0.7", so there ya go. Custom would be cool and all, but they would be a lot more expensive than the Spidertrax- probably more than twice as much. Several hundred more, for half an inch, isn't enough to justify it... I'll talk to the machine shop tomorrow, but it's looking like Spidertrax.
    Last edited by mastacox; 09-01-2017 at 07:08 PM.
    Brian

On another topic, I'm going to paint these things, and am trying to decide on color. I was thinking either a dark charcoal (close to the 4Runner's color) or semi-gloss black.

So, probably a 400 or 600 grit sand, a primer coat, and then 3-4 coats of the color (each layer a little light so they don't run). Any suggestions on paint brand? I've seen "appliance epoxy enamel" paints, are they tough enough to be worth it, or maybe just a regular paint will do... I don't really care if they get scratched up (I expect they will), just don't want the stuff to start flaking and bubbling in 300 miles.
    Brian

Our trucks are hub centric. The 1.25" spacers are the only ones for our trucks.

As for painting the wheels. Auto Zone as well as many other places sells actual wheel spray paint. Its pretty good. 400 grit is good to scuff the wheels. One coat of primer is good enough. I usually use automotive primer, brand dosent really matter. A few light coats is the way to go. Dont worry about clear coat cause if/when the wheels get some rock rash, its a lot easier to touch things up if there is no clear coat. Just throw on some quick paint and be done with it. Dont worry about flaking or bubbling, just take your time and do it right. I have spray painted A LOT of wheels. Never had one flake or peel.

So I modeled up a prototype spacer on my lunch break and took it down to get quoted at the close by machine shop. Tried to keep the tolerances tight where needed and loose where allowed.

We'll see how much they would be, I'm not expecting anything under $200 for 4 though... Only way to get a price close to Spidertrax I suspect would be to make a lot of them on a single set up...
    Brian

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast