Thread: Shop upgrade - subpanel install

Shop upgrade - subpanel install

Ok the one thing my garage was lacking is 220v, today I decided to solve this problem.

This will be a 70 amp service panel to run my compressor and TIG welder.

From the main panel I added a 70 amp circuit breaker then ran about 40' of 1" conduit with 3 - 4 guage wires and a 8 guage ground to the subpanel. I plan to install a 60 amp breaker for the welder, 40 amp for the compressor, a 20 & 30 amp breakers for 110.

As for wiring you must keep the neutral separate from ground in the subpanel(code) I plan to run the rest of the wiring tomorrow then get the rough inspection. From there I'll be able to finish the rest.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Re: Shop upgrade - subpanel install

you should be alright at that amperage, as long as you don't run the welder and compressor together.
    trd supercharger rear elocker 4.30 gears

Re: Shop upgrade - subpanel install

Almost forgot about this thread.....

Everything passed inspection....

The circuits I added was a 60 amp going to another box with 50 amp slow blow fuses, a 40 amp going to the compressor, but I could have gone with a 30 amp.... One open space for future 110 curcuits and 30 amp 110 for my other welder.....

99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!