Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What PSI are you running in your MTs on the street

What PSI are you running in your MTs on the street

I just picked up a set of Toyo Open Country MT. They are 10ply tires and the installer recommended running at 65 PSI and no less that 50 PSI.

What do each of you run your MT tires at for street driving. What do you typically air down to when going into the mud?

(sorry if there is a thread about this but the search for PSI brings up way too many camPSIte threads)
    <br />98 4Runner Limited<br />1999 Suzuki GSXR750 - Sold Apr/08

Re: What PSI are you running in your MTs on the street

My swampers run at 30 street and as low as 12 off-road.

I run my BFG MT's at 40 on the street and air down to 12 off road. No mud out here though just lots of rocks and sand.
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

65?!?!? Why??? You'll end up wearing out the center.

I run my BFGs at 35 psi.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

you can always do the chalk or paint test, paint a line or chalk a line on the concret and drive over it to see if it spreads evenly over the tread.

now with those Toyos they are freakin thick heavy duty tires, but i doubt that 50psi is the answer.

run them at 42 to start. but usually 36-40 is the answer for street driving.

the higher the PSI the rougher the ride is going to get.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

I run my MTR's are 40 psi, but I can run them at 50 psi and just might try, just to see if there is a difference in mileage. offroad I run them anywhere between 10 psi to 20 psi....

At 20 psi on the street my ride is real smooth, but I'm sure the tires heat up more and mileage drops.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Well I have now run them for a full day with a few hundred kms on them at 65 - they are real rough but its hard to tell if they should be like that or not - I am going to try 50 tomorrow and keep trying until i find the best solution.

Thanks for the input!

Why 10ply? That seems to be a little much for a 4Runner, ok for an F350 or something but too much for a smaller vehicle IMO
    95 4Runner- 3.0- A/T- 4.88&#039;s- MC rear bumper- Downey skid plate- BJ spacers- LC coils- 32&quot; BFG A/T&#039;s- FROR front bumper and frame brace on the way

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdCoastRunner
    Why 10ply? That seems to be a little much for a 4Runner, ok for an F350 or something but too much for a smaller vehicle IMO
    Thats just the nature of the tire. I went with these as I have had nothing but good things to say about Toyo tires over the years - and I got a better deal than BFGs

Here is a pic of the tire on the curb with it set at 65... definitely going to drop the pressure

[img width=800 height=600]http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm283/4lowlocked/CIMG5944.jpg[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast