Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So I blowed up a clutch/bearing ... lets brainstorm.

So I blowed up a clutch/bearing ... lets brainstorm.

Let me start off by telling you the story...
    1984 4Runner 22R, 5 speed.
    in 4Lo, clutch pushed in, 1st gear, coasting down a hill.
    BOOM, suddenly no longer coasting, even though the clutch pedal is still on the floor, it is obviously in gear, locked rear end hopping all over the place, I manage to stop the truck, put it in 2WD, 2nd gear, and start it in gear (no clutch interlock in my '84 - I assume this is true of all 1st gens) and drive it home. Once home, I got it halfway up the driveway before it stalled (big hill) out of habit as it stopped, I threw it in reverse. (this is how I usually park, in Reverse, with ebrake on) so now with no clutch, the entire wieght of truck sitting on reverse, and I cant get it out of reverse. I hook to my Tacoma, and give it a baby tug to take the wieght off, I pop it out of reverse, leave it in neutral, and pull it the rest of the way up the hill, but now the starter won't work, when turning the key, it responded with a single click, and the loss of the dash clock, if you turn the key off, the clock came back. I let it sit for a few minutes while I get the Tacoma and the Tundra out of the way... at this point, I am ready to push it into the garage, but surprise surprise, the starter turns over... so I put it in first and started it up, and eased into the garage. Now... on to the part where you guys come in.

So now, it is sitting in the garage...

I am going to drop the tranny to see what broke... I have my ideas, but I want to see what you guys come up with. Before you ask, yes the bellhousing held everything in... yes the system is still full of hydraulic fluid, yes the clutch master and slave are still good and operating as normal. Only there is no cluthc movement, I can start in gear and drive with no problems. just cant change gears. This is issue #1.

The starter. Why didn't it work right after we pulled it up the hill? Why did it work later on after NO truck movement? This is issue #2.

Okay guys, lets hear what you think while the bellhousing bolts are soaking in PB Blaster in preperation for pulling this tranny out.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Re: So I blowed up a clutch/bearing ... lets brainstorm.

Chris, is the Tundra a new addition I missed hearing about?

Sorry, I have no clue about your problem....
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

No the Tundra belongs to my mom but often finds itself in my way, and I have to move it. lol.
    -Chris
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.

I had a similar problem that ended up being broken clutch disc dampener springs wedging between the pressure plate and flywheel - in effect, I couldn't disengage the clutch, nothing happened when I steped on the pedal (real fun at stop lights). It started as an intermittent problem, but within the same night turned into a constant issue

as for the starter issue . . . has it ever given you problems in the past? If it's related to the clutch I'm sure it'll become obvious once you drop everything out. how old is the clutch and pressure plate? It might be a good time to upgrade (last year I found a brand new centerforce dual friction on ebay for $20)
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

The starter might be ingaged to the flywheel, or you have flywheel issues. Your gonna find out anyway! I had a clutch go on me when I had the 22RE/W56 combo and it gave no signs till it was gone. Though the clutch didn't stay engaged.

Sounds like either your clutch fork broke, or you had a catastrophic loss of clutch fluid. Also possible your throwout bearing gave out.

Still fluid in the clutch reservoir? Any obvious leaks? Does the clutch bounce back, or just stay all the way pushed down? If you take a picture of the clutch slave cylinder and where it pushes on the clutch fork, we might be able to get some insight into what's going on...

My guess is your starter issue is unrelated... Is your alternator charging properly? Any starter issues before, like with clicking or anything?
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

I bet you leaked synthetic blinker fluid on the pistachio seal which caused catastrophic failure to the dutchoven bearings which in turn broke the widowmaker shaft connected to the blopindagen beam. Happened to me once.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

i had the same exact thing happen to my old land cruiser the clutch fork got loose and buried itself in the flywheel causing a crap load of steel to jam everything up.... sounds like a crap job anyway you look at it
    85 4 runner that's just a little modified call TUBINGWORKS FAB FOR ANY FAB NEEDS 619 438 1160

NO obvious leaks. Clutch bounces back and pedal does not stay down, resevoir still full, slave cylinder still working. (from the outside anyway - tranny is still in truck, gonna pull for R&R this week/weekend) Keep any ideas coming.

No starter issues before or since. I thin kthe starter must have been stuck on the flywheel or something, I think it will all become obvious once I get the tranny out of there, or will at least all fix itself once this issue is fixed. Keep the ideas/theories coming....

Except you Daniel...
    hahahaha
    -Chris

Ok, riding the clutch going down hill is a no no...... You end up over stressing the pressure plate and throwout bearing..... Bang the bearing goes taking out the fingers on the pressure plate or the friction plate over speeds and grenades sending pieces flying. Those pieces could have wedged in the starter, making it hard to engage. Seen it happen one too many time.......
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast