Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So I blowed up a clutch/bearing ... lets brainstorm.

Re: So I blowed up a clutch/bearing ... lets brainstorm.

So Bruce, sounds like a hard lesson learned going forward...
    You thinking pressure plate, throwout bearing and...?
    Just sort of gonna see who has the most broken peices listed beforehand. lol.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Chris, after driving manuals since 70, breaking gears and replacing clutches, here's two "tips"... learn how to take it EZ on your clutch, never ride it, and... never jam a gear, specially between directions.... LOL, you guarantee yourself a replacement.
    "Clutch Man" will come to your house, sell you an AISIN clutch, turn your FW for about $150. Not many deals better than that. I did not put AISIN in your truck, it was the top of the line from Advance, so, if you want, we can most likely get it replaced free under warranty. I'll call em today. (IF you want another one of their clutches....) still you'll have to take the FW to a machinist and it'll cost $50 to get it resurfaced... so, you have to plan to remove it from the crank. I have a special tool I developed to keep the FW from turning while you're breaking the bolts loose, and retorquing them. I'll share it with you.

Thanks Mike! I'll give you a call once I get the tranny out.
    If you dont mind going ahead and calling Advance that would be great. If not, I will go ahead and get an AISIN, and go that route. Thanks!
    -Chris
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.

I know that in double low, with a crawler, the gear reduction works opposite to be a "gear multiplier" and can blow the clutch when coasting, but everyone says it sounds like breaking glass.

I would guess that the starter issue is separate unless you actually managed to jam the flywheel in place or something.

In other words, I have no real advice, drop the tranny, see what she looks like.
    [quote author=fustercluck link=topic=2107.msg22283#msg22283 date=1188483178]<br />I&#39;m with Intrepid, there&#39;s no use making a project out of it.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Mistakes: Perhaps it is the purpose of your life to serve as an example to others.

Okay, so after a few days of looking at it in the garage, I finally decided to get to work, last night, got the interior pulled out, shifters removed (well t-case anyway... how do I get the tranny shifter out without the SST?) got the tranny and t-case drained, and the d-shafts pulled out, and the upper starter nut off. Tonite is lower starter nut, t-case mount, crossmember, clutch slave, and hopefully pull it out of there.
    -Chris

Can't you just unbolt the trans shifter plate and remove it?
    [quote author=fustercluck link=topic=2107.msg22283#msg22283 date=1188483178]<br />I&#39;m with Intrepid, there&#39;s no use making a project out of it.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Mistakes: Perhaps it is the purpose of your life to serve as an example to others.

Yep, but until you get the tranny halfway dropped you cant access that front passenger side bolt for the shift plate.

Tranny is out, along with the t-case, and all associates. I took it up to the local spray and wash and cleaned it up with some degreaser and hi-pressure water.
    Looks good. Also cleaned the d-shafts, and crossmember.
    Shattered the clutch disc. Dont know how, but its pretty awful. All of the clutch surface is gone on the flywheel side. Amazingly the flywheel looks okay, gonna have it turned anyway.
    Do most clutch kits come with a new clutch cover? Do you guys recomend any certain clutches/clutch kits? Stock? Excedy?(I know they do some of the later TRD clutches and I have used them in the past, I like em), Marlin? What do you guys say?
    Also the bearing and clutch fork look okay, but probably replace to, right?
    What parts should I be replacing that I am not thinking of here?
    -Chris

If the pressure plate looks ok, just replace the friction disc. Check the throw out bearing to see if the bearing is dry, if it isn't too sloppy you can repack it with grease or simply replace it. If you do decide to replace everything, Marlin's kit is the way to go....

Like I said in 4low going down hill with clutch depressed, causes the disc to over speed. It don't take long before they let go.....

BTW if there isn't any noticable damage to the flywheel, just take some sand paper and scratch up the surface to break the glaze, should be good to go. It's a rare sight that I have the flywheel surfaced....
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Thanks Bruce. looking at a parts qoute from NTP, and also looking at Marlin's kit
    -Chris

Tranny -

Pressure Plate -

Clutch -

Flywheel -

-Chris

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast