Thread: Hummer does some good - partners with Tread Lightly

Hummer does some good - partners with Tread Lightly

Ironic, I know...

http://offroadbusinessmag.off-road.c....jsp?id=514689

Tread Lightly! and HUMMER Announce Grant-Giving Initiative for Recreation Sites
    May 6, 2008
    Off-Road Business E-newsletter

General Motor’s HUMMER division and the nonprofit organization Tread Lightly! announced the launch of a new partnership called HUMMER’s Recreation Rescue, which will provide grants to outdoor recreation sites. The grants will be dedicated towards land use education, management and trail maintenance.

“This partnership comes at a critical time, especially for recreation activities involving the use of off-highway vehicles,” said Tread Lightly!’s executive director Lori McCullough. “These grants will help land management agencies implement their new travel management policies in a way that helps both recreationists and the great outdoors.”

Project sites already selected for 2008 include off-highway vehicle areas in the Sierra National Forest in Central California and the Ocala National Forest in Florida. Other sites are currently under consideration and will be announced by the beginning of summer. Volunteers will be needed to re-seed, install signage and kiosks, build trail enhancements and do other important tasks.

“At a time when public participation in outdoor recreation is at a decline, organizations like Tread Lightly! are extremely important in ensuring that open access to public land remains available for future generations,” said Martin Walsh, HUMMER general manager.

HUMMER’s Recreation Rescue was created under the umbrella of Tread Lightly!’s Restoration for Recreation program. Restoration for Recreationis designed to keep the great outdoors beautiful, healthy and open to the public by providing much needed resources for trail maintenance, education and communications initiatives to allow for environmentally sustainable outdoor recreation.

The initiative will kick off with a project on the popular Bald Mountain off-highway vehicle (OHV) trail in the Sierra National Forest. Funding and volunteers will help provide trail maintenance, install signage, print quality maps and develop educational outreach.

For more information contact:
    Monica Clay
    Tread Lightly!
    monica@treadlightly.org
    (800) 966-9900
    Nick Richards
    HUMMER Communications
    nick.richards@gm.com
    Phone: (313) 665-9292
    Cell: (313) 720-9541
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Re: Hummer does some good - partners with Tread Lightly

i think this is good. hopefully a tread lightly! brochure finds its way into every hummer glove box, so the squibbly bit behind the wheel can think twice before running over trees and making mud holes as deep as the gas tank is big.

anything to improve the trails and the general publics perceptions of the offroad community is a + in my book.

good move HUMMER, even if i do hate you! thanks.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

i still hope a comet hits the hummer headquarters and fragments of that comet demolish every last h2 out there.

Quote Originally Posted by calrockx
    i still hope a comet hits the hummer headquarters and fragments of that comet demolish every last h2 out there.
    agreed...
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

It's a start. Even if it wasn't a Hummer organization it's a start in the right direction. I suspect they are pimping the Hummer namesake but I'm not sure how much of a value it holds. Then again I doubt that Toyota would have stepped up using their Land Cruiser as a namesake either. Or maybe Hummer paid more $$ to outbid a rival company?

Hopefully we'll see other partnerships form and the consumers (us) will benefit from all of this.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Its a start.

Quote Originally Posted by calrockx
    Agreed.

Some years back we were in the Rubicon, on the side of the trail making food. Here comes an H1, through the very narrow Con. We ended up behind this yahoo, who hit every rock with its body, making a mockery of Tread Lightly. He was widening the trail and it was very painful to watch. He ended up having to take the Sluice bypass, where we charged the Sluice ahead of him. Never saw that H1 again, good riddance.