Thread: computer harddrive and off-road

computer harddrive and off-road

has anybody ever used computer harddrive disk(the actual disk inside) as a mirror? i do and i alway keep one in my emergency kit. well, i have been thinking about posting this for a long time, finally my co-worker's computer harddrive crashed today. so i gotta take it apart and take some pictures.

as a common pratice, many people would carry a small mirror(with a peep hole in the middle) when going to the wild, it's called rescue signal mirror or emergency flash mirror. a good one can cost 5-20 dollars depends on what and where you get it. a quality piece can reflect and focus miles away to signal in the rescue choppers and personals making a difference between life and death. a crapy mirror can't really do anything because you don't know where it's aimming at and the light it's reflecting doesn't focus too far out.

a harddrive disk is THE abusolutely best mirror man can get for cheap, the tolerance on the finish is in the 1/10,000 of an inch. and the best part, it has a peep hole already. so next time you come by a broken harddrive, take it apart and keep the mirrors. normally there are 3 disks in each harddrive.

on othere thing very useful are the supper strong Nuridium magnets, they are by far the strongest. stick one on your oil filter to attract the metal debries. there are 2 magnets in each harddrive.

have fun and be safe out there.

94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

Re: computer harddrive and off-road

be careful not to pinch your fingers or other fleshy bits between the magnets. i have many a scar from that.

ive come to collect old, dead HDs for their aluminium which i melt down and use when i cast parts. i have a few stacks of these platters. have to throw one in the glovebox soon. i used to just throw them at friends.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: computer harddrive and off-road

Great tip! I have a couple old HDD's that I can pillage.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps