Thread: 3.4L automatic transmission fluid

3.4L automatic transmission fluid

Figured this would be considered a "Newbie" question.

Ok, I bought my truck with 102k on the clock. The previous (and original) owner has not ever changed out the fluid. What is the general recommendation in this instance? I am a bit nervous about doing a full-on flush, as I have heard horror stories of people doing it with 100k+ miles. Is this still the concensus? I also want to replace the OEM fluid with Amsoil or Redline. Is going synthetic after this many miles a bad thing?

Thanks.
    Land Cruiser

Re: 3.4L automatic transmission fluid

I think it depends on the condition of the fluid. Is it still bright red? Does it smell burned?

One way or another, you'll need to change the fluid. Changing to synthetic shouldn't be a problem, but beware if the fluid is dark in color or very burned smelling, you may have bought more than you bargained for...
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Flushing the fluid is probably well overdue on that vehicle. Big part is to make sure you also pull off the tranny pan and clean the filter screen and pan bottom. I wouldn't worry about flushing as long as the fluid was still a nice red color and no burnt smell. Synthetic or regular will both work fine.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

ok, so whose doing the flush?

if you are doing the flush yourself, remember that transmissions are very sensitive to dust and particles. if you pull the pan, DONT WIPE THE INNARDS with a paper towel or some other kind of towel. its a very messy job, so my recommendation is to have some reputable shop do it for you. tell them you want a full flush (evacuation i bleieve is the word they use) using your supplied synthetic fluid. watch them do it. you will have to buy the right quantity + some extra for the machine to cycle your fluid through the machine. ask them how much.

Well, I am going to have my local Toyota dealership do it. I read the tutorial on the Amsoil site about doing it yourself, but I figured it would be better to have those guys do it. They are doing it for $125.

A sign of something possibly bad is that the fluid color (via dipstick) is reddish-brown color. Definitely not pink. However, I have not noticed anything wrong with the transmission. But who knows? I'm just praying that I am getting to this in time. They are doing this tomorrow morning at 7:30AM. Times like these, I wish I had a manual for the ease of changing the fluid.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.
    Land Cruiser

Got the flush done today at the Toyota dealership. $145. I think I will drain and fill every other oil change to keep it refreshed (this is what I gathered from some older threads). Now, I gotta change the drive belts and front/rear/xfer case fluids.

Bob98SR5 - I was reading your write up on changing out diff fluids (great job, BTW), I was wondering which Redline Fluid you chose for the diff's and xfer case? I saw that there were two kinds: 75w90 and 75w90NS.
    Land Cruiser