Thread: Hella 4000s converted to HID

Hella 4000s converted to HID

Following in the steps of Bruce, I converted my set of Hella 4000s to HID . Only difference being, I opted for the Hellas with the Cornering Beam pattern and choose to run 4300K bulbs.

Thanks Bruce for the great write up! (For his install, check it out here: http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=2678.msg3 3207"]Click Me[/URL])

These are 8” round, 100wt halogen lights with the Cornering Beam pattern. I chose this pattern over the Driving Beam pattern simply because I wanted a wider light spread. I got a deal on the lights and picked up the set brand new for $150. The Hella wiring harness is sold separate, but since I already had an existing wiring harness from my previous lights, I was able to reuse what I already had. I also purchased an inexpensive 35wt HID kit off ebay for around $75. It is a H1 kit with 4300K bulbs.

Picture of the HID kit I purchased. Please note, this is just a universal picture of the kit I used. I used H1 bulbs.

Install was very easy. I removed the lense from the housing and simply removed the stock 100wt halogen bulb:

Next, I inserted the new HID H1 bulb:

Like Bruce, I also drilled a hole in the back of each housing to accommodate the new HID bulb. I decided to leave the stock-wiring plug in place in case I ever decide to convert these lights back to a halogen set up. Therefore, I just covered up the existing pin connections with tape and zip tied it off:

With the bulbs installed, I sealed the grommets with black RTV silcone to further prevent water from leaking in through the new holes:

I sealed each ballast to prevent water from entering. I disassembled each one and placed a bead of silicone inbetween the top and bottom covers. Once the covers were reinstalled and the silicone had dried, I wrapped each ballast in tape. I also siliconed both areas of the ballasts where the wires plug into it.

To mount them, I just zip-tied them in place. I may ditch the zip ties and upgrade to hose clamps in the future, but for now, this works.

(You will also notice I have 4 ballasts mounted…the other 2 are wired for small fog lights that I’m in the process of adding.)

Lights mounted. I also added a set of clear covers to the lights to protect the lenses:

Darkness was approaching, but here they fired up:

That night, I took a few more pictures of them:

Approx 10ft back:

Approx 40ft back: (And yes my headlights are still on. I will say that the camera deceives you a little though. In this picture, both lights are on, but it appears as though only one is. From this distance, I could clearly make out both lights even though the camera could not. Although, if I looked at them too long, I could not see anything afterwards. They are very bright):

On the trail with just my headlights on (photo taken thru the sunroof):

Same spot with just the Hellas on:

Notice the ridge in the background…that is approximately 300ft away.

I'm digging these new lights. The light output is amazing. With this Cornering Beam pattern, the light spread is almost a complete 180 degrees and reaches very far out on both sides. I could not stand back far enough to get a good enough picture to show the side-to-side light spread, but believe me, it is WIDE.

Now I can honestly say I have a pair of Hella HIDs

I'll post a video soon of them warming up...it's really cool to see too.
    2002 4Runner Sport 4WD
    My 4Runner Profile: Click Me

Re: Hella 4000s converted to HID

These look great! AMAZING amount of light output from those things! Keep up the good work!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I definitely agree. My Lightforce 240's in HID are unreal in the light output.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

WOW! Nice light output!
    Steve/KG6ZJL &lt;&gt;&lt;<br /><br />1988 4Runner... it&#039;s giving my wallet anxiety issues.<br /><br />&#039;Locking the hubs and airing down... there is no better way to start a weekend!&#039; - Me<br /><br />www.SteveArnett.com

Here's a quick vid of them warming up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWfSjmDzgFo
    2002 4Runner Sport 4WD
    My 4Runner Profile: Click Me

Dang now I'll need to get another set just for the corner beams...
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

I was looking into doing the HID conversion for some Hella 500 driving lights. I was wondering whether it would be as straightforward as the 4000's and if I could re-use the stock fog light wiring for this (I am currently using the stock wiring for the pair of 500's I have on my bumper).
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NC994Run
    I was looking into doing the HID conversion for some Hella 500 driving lights. I was wondering whether it would be as straightforward as the 4000's and if I could re-use the stock fog light wiring for this (I am currently using the stock wiring for the pair of 500's I have on my bumper).
    Thanks
    Just be aware that the HID H3 bulb is about 3x longer than the halogen H3 bulb so it will be a tight fit between the bulb and the Hella 500 lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey
    Quote Originally Posted by NC994Run
    Thanks
    Just be aware that the HID H3 bulb is about 3x longer than the halogen H3 bulb so it will be a tight fit between the bulb and the Hella 500 lens.
    http://www.retro-solutions.com/h3minibulbkits.html

There is a company that actually makes/sells HID lights that mimic the size of an H-3 bulb.

But you are right, most H-3 HID bulbs are simply D2S/D2R bulbs with an H-3 mount and they are much longer.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)