Thread: Smittybilt G.E.A.R seat covers

Smittybilt G.E.A.R seat covers

Just got a pair of Smittybilt G.E.A.R seat covers. When i first opened the box and layed everything on the floor...these babies are some stout covers! The material is made out of denier polyester which gives it great heavy duty quality. One GEAR cover comes with the seat cover & 7 bags. They come in three different colors....Tan, black, & olive green.

They attach using a few pieces of material with snap buttons to hold them to the back or front of the GEAR cover.

Their is one con to the GEAR covers.....They don't cover the whole seat. Well that is a easy fix. ARB use to some great covers that are fairly priced and get the job done. Any light weight cover from your local auto parts store could work. Or....If you have a handy wife that can sew....I'm sure a trip to the fabric store could do the trick too!

It took me about 45 minutes to get to them install. The hook straps hold the bottom in place. Be careful to place them where your seat rails are not going to tear them apart. These seat covers are not compatible with vehicles that have side air bags built into seat.

Then afterwards I had fun placing the bags in different locations. The great thing about these GEAR covers is that they have three other locations in the front of the seat to install bags. You can also mount these bags to your back-pack or even you belt.

The GEAR covers provide a lot of storage space to clean the look of your rig inside. My wife was pumped to see all the added storage to the Tacoma. Having a young family....It is always nice to have more places to put things.

Overall......I'm very happy with the outcome. This mod made traveling for my wife and little one a lot more organized. I love how the covers come with an American flag patch. The flag and material of the covers give it a military feel that I like. The GEAR covers are worth their weight and gold. I only wish that the GEAR seat cover...covered the whole seat..... I now have 14 new areas to store my stuff.....Now...where did i put my knife???....J/K!

In Stock Now!

Cheers!!!<br /><br />~Nic~<br /><br />Sierra Expeditions<br />www.sierraexpeditions.com<br />1-866-507-4254<br /><br />Slightly Modified 2001 Dbl Cab Tacoma<br />Bantam BT3-C Expedition Trailer

Re: Smittybilt G.E.A.R seat covers

Nice! I think I need a set of these for my work van.

ONe question, I have thought of getting these for my tacoma and 4runner, but was wondering how all the stuff on the back works with the kids in car seats? My son (almost 4) has his feet always touching the drivers seat and I think his feet would be getting caught in the bags. Any thoughts on this, since you also have little ones? Although I guess soon, he'll be in a booster seat and farther back.

My signature

Great question....

I have a 21 month old little girl who also likes to kick and play with the seat also......So far no problems....I was sure she was going to play with the bags....but nothing....

We have a Moab trip coming up in a few weeks.....I will have more infor. than......I'm sure my little one will do fine!

Hope this helps!

Cheers!!!<br /><br />~Nic~<br /><br />Sierra Expeditions<br />www.sierraexpeditions.com<br />1-866-507-4254<br /><br />Slightly Modified 2001 Dbl Cab Tacoma<br />Bantam BT3-C Expedition Trailer

Nic, thanks, that does help. Have a safe trip and I look forward to seeing how the seat covers work for you and the fam.
    My signature

Nice review Nic!

Wil Kuhns<br />Sierra Expeditions <br /><br />The only regrets in life are the risks you didn&#039;t take.<br /><br />Mod Progress Gauge: [|||||||||-] = 90% Complete as of 03 FEB 2008. My Taco&#039;s Garage

Nic, how did the trip go and how have the seat covers been holding up to the little one?
    My signature

the pouches are not clipped on right

the way they are clipped on kids can pull them off. they are soppost to be wove from the loop on the seat back to the one on the pouch. through the next one on the seat back then to the one on the pouch and then snapped. done in this way they will not come off unless you want them too.
    just because you&#39;ve always done it that way doesn&#39;t mean it&#39;s not incredibly stupid.<br /><br />1999 4x4 SR5 4runner<br />http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&amp;Itemid=26&amp;topic=1 081.0

Good call, would not pass gear inspection!

I got out before our unit got any new gear. We were still messing around those dang rusty metal clips and LBV's.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by randver
    the pouches are not clipped on right

the way they are clipped on kids can pull them off. they are soppost to be wove from the loop on the seat back to the one on the pouch. through the next one on the seat back then to the one on the pouch and then snapped. done in this way they will not come off unless you want them too.
    I understand how they are to fasterned.....But for me.....My kid doesn't even pull on them!!....If she did....I still think she would have a heck of a time getting them off....

For me....Doing it the Military way seems way overkill and it would be hard to do a quick bag change....Just my .02...

I have found that the bottem of the covers do like to move a little....It is a easy fix with using a cord at the bottem of the seat to pull it tight fixing the problem.

Overall...happy with all the new storage!