Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: moving to cali

Re: moving to cali

Quote Originally Posted by 4runnerchevy

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Stay away from the Central Coast, gangs everywhere, beaches suck, super crowded, bad traffic, absolutely horrid place to live.
    Simply not true!
    I was hoping that the sarcasm was evident in my statement.
    My signature

i didnt catch the sarcasm at first. i imagine it is like here, there are certain ghetto parts of ri and mass that arent nice and people stare at the white boy(me) as he drives by. but we avoid those areas and stay out of trouble.
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 20005spd
    ...there are certain ghetto parts of ri and mass that arent nice...
    ROFL... absolutely no offense or anything, but i have a REALLY hard time believing that.... hahahahahahahaha.

some neighborhoods out here look like demilitarized zones. others look like active theaters of combat (and are). the vast majority of even "bad" neighborhoods are really not that horrible anymore. even where i live in redlands, there is a bad side and a good side, we try not to cross the tracks or freeway unless we have to, just watch out for gang members and leave yourself enough room in front of your car to evade if necessary.

also, once you have a particular place in mind, it helps to go to businesses and private residences and ask about the area. when we moved to our house, its on a pretty busy street. we asked some people (not our neighbors, but one block down) how bad the traffic was. they were unconcerned, so it eased our minds on the decision.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

hey there are still shootings and stabbings in ri and mass just not as much as california. i figure if i can stay away from it here i can dodge it there.
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

Its not hard to dodge it, I just don't get involved, or put myself in harms way. Sometimes I think the SoCal contingent is a gang

Quote Originally Posted by 20005spd

the types of trails I'm looking for are mostly rock crawling or just nice scenery. some of the pics you guys post up just call my name to that side of the country so its time i try it out.
    Don't count out the Northern part.

I live 1.5hr from the Rubicon
    2hrs from the Sierras
    2.5hrs from Monterey
    the list goes on......

Not sure on the idea of going strictly custom shop. My buddies uncle owned a custom boat shop and the mechanics their didn't get paid to much better than dealer guys.
    If you want to make the big money and call your shots come out and get smog certified. These guys make pretty good money and generally shy away form general mechanic work.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

So-Cal rocks but its already full... Most of the time I love it, but at times I cant wait to get out.
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

What everyone says is good advice. Saying you are moving to cali is like saying you are moving to the East Coast. We have everything from FL to NH and more. A week is not really enough to see it all in any depth.

I would suggest you get a copy of the Wells trail books for Norcal and Socal. That will give you some idea of where the wheeling is and what it is like.

With the way our economy is headed you might want to focus on securing some type of employment up front.

Good Luck. I sure don't regret moving out here, not sure I could ever go back.
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

Quote Originally Posted by RobG
    What everyone says is good advice. Saying you are moving to cali is like saying you are moving to the East Coast. We have everything from FL to NH and more. A week is not really enough to see it all in any depth.

LOL, no kidding. When I was stationed at Camp Pendleton, some of the east coast guys couldn't wrap their brains around how long it took to get to the Oregon border. They also thought all of CA was like L.A. or S.D. They were so used to driving and being in another state in an hour or so.
    My signature

If your driving, your welcome to crash at my place here in the Denver area, on your way through, and if time allows, we can hot a trail or two.
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast