Thread: Big Bear 5-17-08

Big Bear 5-17-08

Went up to Big Bear Saturday morning, met up with some guys from the Tierra del Sol Club about 7 Jeeps and 1 Toyota Truck. Did John Bull in the morning and Gold Mtn. in the afternoon. It was perfect weather, not too hot, not too cold, plenty of blue sky.

Got to John Bull about 9:30AM and the Waywego club from Pasadena was performing trail maintenance. They had removed all of the stacking rocks and were cleaning up. Seemed like a great group of guys. They were completing their second day, here is what the trail looked like when I got there.

Apparently it was Jeep Jamboree week, I saw hundreds of Jeeps of the drive in but only met up with 1 group and a few stragglers on the trails.

John Bull was quite and experience. Nothing like the smell of burning clutch in the morning. Ripped one of my airbags out and it took a tire out with it. That and a few new slider scars and gas tank dents is all the damage I escaped with. The TDS guys operate a little differently than I'm used to, there is no spotting they all just drive unless someone get stuck or in trouble. I don't think I would try that again without some lower gears. No pictures of me but just a group shot out my windshield, you can see part of a blue pickup behind one of the trees. He had dual ceses and Supra motor swap, man that thing could fly.

Next we moved on to Gold Mountain (Rt 38 to 3N16). A piece of cake compared to the morning run. I had done that trail before with Marc P (thanks Marc) but the other way. There was a trailboss showing off on the rock pile on the top of he mountain with his super built jeep, the other trailboss yells "if you break anything your on your own" within 2 seconds the guys front right tire comes off, totally off. The look on the Drivers face when he sees himself pass his tire through the passenger side door opening was priceless. He sheared off all 6 hub studs. Not sure if he every made it out of there. Here is a pic from Gold Mtn to show how beautiful it was up there (sorry for the Jeep).

We parted ways about 5PM, my daughter an I camped the night and left the next morning. Had a great time and those are a great group of guys. I am going to try to make some more TDS runs this year.

93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

Re: Big Bear 5-17-08

Glad you got to get some wheeling in on the weekend. I love Big Bear now after my first trip just a couple weeks ago.

I've seen that green jeep before, he stole my star idea
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by Tankota
    I've seen that green jeep before, he stole my star idea
    Yeah, I was thinking that same thing when I first saw him.

I really wanted to make that trip a few weeks ago but that organized kids sports thing really kills a lot of good weekends. Hopefully next time, or the time after next time, or...
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

That Supra powered pickup is always at the Discount tire by my house. I keep wanting to stop in and meet the guy.

Looks like you had fun...John Bull is always an adventure, and Gold Mtn is always fun.
    1995 4runner--SAS'd and armored--GONE

1998 4Runner--under construction--GONE

2003 4runner...the new project

Well mine are bigger. Bigger = Better
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by Tankota
    Well mine are bigger. Bigger = Better
    Yours are on a Toyota, I don't think we need to go any further.

Marc this guy lived in Big Bear right off Van Duesen, said it used to be his brothers. His parents were there from SD in their CJ. I think his name was George. He hauled ass down one trail breaking out the rear end at will. he said he could do the same thing on pavement. Really clean install and so much smaller than the 3.0. I had a great time just hope americas tire will cover my blown tire.
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

Quote Originally Posted by RobG
    Ripped one of my airbags out and it took a tire out with it.
    Do you have spring helper air bags or something. What did this all get caught on.