Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: performance products/bilstein or OME 881 / 906 Setup

performance products/bilstein or OME 881 / 906 Setup

Go ahead and flame.. i have searched and i want some opinions. My 02 is in need of shocks and coils. I am tired of bottoming out when i hit the smallest bump. I have looked into Sonoran Steel kits and i was interested in the system 3.0 (99 springs). His other kits seemed a little extreme to me. I know that a few of you have gone with the PP springs and others have gone with the OME 881 / 906 setup. I tow a boat on occasion but mostly an 8 x10 with my 4 wheeler or mower. I would like a little extra height seeing as i have the low-rider of 4runners. She is my DD and occasionally goes off road (trails, hunting ect.) How have the OME kits held up? Is there any extra work or parts involved or is it just the installation of the coils and shocks? I am going to order them soon and i guess i need to make up my mind. Any info would be great!
    02 Sport (Sporticus)<br />881 / 906 OME Combo, 275/65/16 Faulken High Country AT&#39;s, Syntheic Fluids,Brembo / Hawk Combo and two car seats for the future wheelers<br /><br />2010 Highlander SE- Wife&#39;s kid transporter.<br /><br />1998 Tacoma- 2.7 liters of fury...after that is pretty plain and stock

Re: performance products/bilstein or OME 881 / 906 Setup

well in my opinion, putting in a lift thats only an inch or two is a waste of money and time. a 2.5-3" lift on these trucks is not big. i am pleased with my current setup of tundra 4wd trd coils and tacoma shocks up front and ome coils in the back (i think they are 890's) and extended length shocks in the back. when doing a small lift i dont think you will need to do anything besides shocks and coils front n rear. when doing the larger lifts a few things are required/recommended. a front diff drop is needed to keep the cv angles correct (it is cheap), and an extended rear brake line for the rear, not needed but cheap insurance. an adjustable panhard bar or bar drop bracket is recommended. just spend some time on sonorans site and you will read all the stuff im telling you, why its needed and what options you have.
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

Thanks for the info. I knew that if i went with one of steves kits i would have to a lot more work. I like his kits but quite honestly i dont need oneit just wouldnt be practical for me. I have to replace the coils and shocks so i would like to have a better stance. I just wondered if how the OME reacted when towing.
    02 Sport (Sporticus)<br />881 / 906 OME Combo, 275/65/16 Faulken High Country AT&#39;s, Syntheic Fluids,Brembo / Hawk Combo and two car seats for the future wheelers<br /><br />2010 Highlander SE- Wife&#39;s kid transporter.<br /><br />1998 Tacoma- 2.7 liters of fury...after that is pretty plain and stock

I'm running OME 891 springs in the back and really like them... as for towing they are just fine....
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

I installed Tundra coils and OME 890's in the rear with Tokico Trekmasters all around on my 2001 about 3 weeks ago. Its a nice setup. The springs were all slightly used, but seem to suit my Runner well. Handles a bit better than stock and rides just as smooth. Haven't towed anything yet, so I can't comment there (yet).

01/02's were about an 1" lower than the 99's, so the way I look at it, my 01's about 1.5" taller than the 'tallest' stock 4Runners. My 01's a DD as well, and after comparing stock and OME springs, I have little doubt it will tow a trailer with only a few hundred pounds of tongue weight just fine. (Stock springs had fewer wraps and noticeably thinn
    er wire.)

Considering 99% of vehicle owners never change coils, I suspect the OME's will hold up for quite awhile.

Edit: I did do the diff drop and adjustable panhard since its my DD. The diff drop is cheap insurance and takes about 15 minutes to install.

HTH.

-Scott
    -Scott<br />&#039;01 Black SR5 4x4 w/ Black Pearl&#039;s: Detroit Truetrac | Tundra/OME 890s w/ Tokico Trekmasters | SS Diff Drop/Panhard | Tundra rotors/calipers | Rear Diff Breather Extension | Hayden cooler | K&amp;N | ISR | Deckplate | Jet Black PC&#039;d LC 16x8&#039;s w/ LT265/75R16 Cooper S/T&#039;s

I have PP and Bilstein set up and love it. Gave me about 2 inches of lift just what I was looking for. Handles great and no more bottoming out thats for sure. I dont tow anything with it but I am sure it would suit it just fine.
    2000 4Runner Limited 4x4 3.4<br />Grey wire and Deckplate mod<br />Donahoe coilovers with Total Chaos UCA<br />Performance Produc coils with Bilsteins<br />Discoverer Cooper S/T 265/75/16<br /><br /><br /><br />91&#039; Toyota V6 4x4 extra cab, 14&quot; Magnaflow exhuast Sold<br />99&#039; Tacoma Trd V6 4x4, TRD exhaust, supercharger, 2.5&quot; SAW coilovers in front, Bilsteins 5100s in rear, 32&quot; Goodyear wrangler MTRs on 15&quot; welds, HID lights on custom bumbers Ivan stewart TRD decals and red top Optima..still was a work in progress...STOLEN

I would go with the trekmasters and OME 881/906. I have the trekmasters with 882/890 and am very happy with the way it rides and sits.
    2001 4Runner 3.4V-6 SR5 4x4 Money Pit<br />2008 FJC TT SE 6 SPEED stock

i've had both. ome all the way.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Quote Originally Posted by Desertyodaboy
    I have PP and Bilstein set up and love it. Gave me about 2 inches of lift just what I was looking for. Handles great and no more bottoming out thats for sure. I dont tow anything with it but I am sure it would suit it just fine.
    i like my PP/Bilstein setup too. sometimes it can get stiff, but like the comment above, no more bottoming out. seems to ride better w/ a little weight in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by NakSuKow
    I would go with the trekmasters and OME 881/906.
    X2
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast