Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW Hydrogen 7: Interal Combustion with Hydrogen!

BMW Hydrogen 7: Interal Combustion with Hydrogen!

From my past readings, I was under the influence that hydrogen vehicles were going to be electric vehicles, where the hydrogen was used in a reaction that produced an electrical current that would power the motor. So in essence, electric cars with longer ranges. I didn't think they could make an internal combustion engine that ran on hydrogen, but its a damn good thing I was wrong!

Introducing the BMW Hydrogen 7.. your traditional 760i with a derivative of the current v12 that comes with the 760 which puts out around 260hp and does 0-62.1 mph in 9.5 seconds. All the amenities of the grand luxurious 7 series included. Check it out for yourself!

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2006/09...mw-hydrogen-7/
    -Ned<br /><br />1997 4Runner 4x4 3.4L V6 Black<br />OME/TRD Lift | 265 Pro comp MT | AR Bajas 16x8, Kenwood Excelon KDCx789 | Polk DB650 speakers | WabFab Discos | Other stuff<br />

Re: BMW Hydrogen 7: Interal Combustion with Hydrogen!

looks like we have a winner

or hopefully, only thing in its way is the oil companies
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Article posted Sept 12th 2006.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

gg for me not catching that
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby
    Article posted Sept 12th 2006.
    Bah alright fine. The whole reason i wanted to share this with you people was because it was in my local newspaper.. the Ventura County Star. This vehicle is 100% real.

http://www.venturacountystar.com/new...to/?printer=1/

BMW's official link:
    http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte.../Hydrogen.aspx

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Hydrogen 7 running around Ventura County. I saw an E92 BMW M3 (the v8 one that was just released spring 08) running around Camarillo with a distributor plate in February.

I'm really turned on by the fact that the vehicle uses internal combustion of liquid hydrogen as opposed to hydrogen fuel cells and the vehicle can run on BOTH Hydrogen AND Gasoline at your discretion.
    From the VC Star article, "Other companies are developing cars to run on hydrogen fuel cells. Honda, for example, will release the FCX this year. BMW is the only company producing vehicles relying on direct combustion of liquid hydrogen."
    -Ned<br /><br />1997 4Runner 4x4 3.4L V6 Black<br />OME/TRD Lift | 265 Pro comp MT | AR Bajas 16x8, Kenwood Excelon KDCx789 | Polk DB650 speakers | WabFab Discos | Other stuff<br />

problem with hydrogen now is, besides the complete lack of any infrastructure to speak of, is it doesnt solve the problem of using fossil fuels. most hydrogen today is made from hydrocarbons, and while there is technology out there to produce it other ways, none of them are commercially viable and wont be for some time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_production (yes i know wikipedia isnt the most reliable, but it is well cited and gives a launching pad for further research, not that most will go to the extra mile anyway)

if we can produce this through other viable means, then its great.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Anyone know how much it would be for a gallon of hydrogen? I don't know if it would be a viable solution unless it has competitive pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by dontdo_that
    ... because it was in my local newspaper.. the Ventura County Star. This vehicle is 100% real.
    local paper... in SD? i missed it here.

i saw the BMW at a convention in long baech last year, very cool indeed.
    was there checking out a H powered fuel cell bicycle. which uses ammonium to generate its H.

shell was the only oil company w/ presence in commercial H production
    [quote author=Euphorickaty80 link=topic=575.msg3747#msg3747 date=1175627780]<br />I was alot of fun to build.[/quote]

No it was a local paper in Ventura County which is my second home.

I have heard talks about using wind and solar energy to make hydrogen. I'm not sure on the details of that, but try searching because I don't have time until later.

I've got a friend who retrofitted his new tacoma with a hydrogen system. It uses the electrical system of the truck to extract the hydrogen from water and then it injects it into the intake. I guess they sell these kits on the internet or something. He claims he's getting 20% better mileage, but I'm skeptical.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast