Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Done with Optima, on to Odyssey

Done with Optima, on to Odyssey

After my bad Optima Redtop experience, I settled to buy a Odyssey battery that will supposedly be a direct replacement so I shouldn't need to fabricate/buy a bracket but we'll see. After returning from a 4 month deployment and my friend only driving it about once a month, the shitty makeshift Interstate was dead this morning when I started it up to go to work but almost had enough juice to turn over after work.

I'm sick and tired of having my battery die out on me. For all of you who missed my thread detailing my experience with my Optima RedTop, my alternator output is well within normal specifications.

Will post pictures and any problems with the install since I haven't heard of many people using this battery on the boards.
    [glow=blue,2,300]2002 4WD TOYOTA TACOMA "TURTLE TACO"[/glow]  <All the goods listed here>

Re: Done with Optima, on to Odyssey

thanks! im on my 2nd duralast battery after 4 months killed the first one i had, and this one is starting to spew out the top. probably time for a real battery. scared to go the optima route because of experiences like yours.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Well, I'll tell you that they are not cheap: about $250.
    [glow=blue,2,300]2002 4WD TOYOTA TACOMA "TURTLE TACO"[/glow]  <All the goods listed here>

Curious which size you get, the guy at the auto parts store recommended the small one which was about half the size of my current battery. The next size up was like $250 so that sounds like the one you are getting. The small one looks liked it would be great for a dual battery setup with limited space.

My Red Top came back to life a good charge so I didn't wind up getting one.
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

Ryan have you looked into Exide batteries? I've been talking to Frank here and there and that's my next set of batteries for my truck.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Lance,

Yes, I looked into the Exide batteries but my truck is likely to spend long periods of time without being turned on and even with disconnecting the battery leads I wanted the best. The aggravation caused by problems since I got the RedTop and now this battery has frustrated the hell out of me.

Odyssey claims something like a 2 year standby when charged. I've done outrageous things with mine, heavy, heavy loads and I've been careless, letting it drain almost completely. It recharges like new. Never had to jump start it. The truck sat for two months when I was in basic training and started right back up when I came to get it. It didn't sound like it struggled or anything, just a regular, clean start. I didn't disconnect anything and my head unit blinks a little red LED which I guess is some kind of parasitic drain for sure.

I have a PC1700T. They come in MJ (metal jacket versions) but mine is for cold weather. I'll be blunt with you: this is the last battery you'll ever by or consider buying. Expensive, yeah? Worth it? Yeah.

PC1500 will fit. PC1700 is a great fit, much bigger then the stock battery but drops right in. Weights like 60 lbs? I remember the FEDEX guy carrying it and looking absolutely dumbstruck, he asked me what was in the box, because it was the 'heaviest small thing' he's ever lifted. Anyway, It fits fine into the holder, but it's too short, alas. I put a piece of wood under mine for now. Other then that, great stuff. Don't know how high the PC1500 is and if it will have the same fit issue. Minor but you should know.

Good luck. My mechanic sells Exide stuff. He tells me that a lot of Optimas crap out, audio shops sell them and they're considered high end by his customers, and while some work great, an alarming many (for their cost and reputation) crap out.
    '96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

I would have to say that I have never had an issue with any of my optima batteries, but I am very interested in going to an odyssey. I have read and heard alot of great things about them. With the issues that you had you probably made a great choice in buying on. I look forward to hearing about your experience with them.
    96 4Runner SR5 B&M trans cooler, H.I.D conversion

Well, I got mine last night and yeah it is a pig to lug around to the apartment but I plan on putting it into my truck tonight. There are two versions of the one that was sent to me, one having the terminals reversed but the guy on the phone was knowledgeable enough to pull up the right battery in no time.

I will post pictures tonight after the install.

If you think that is a pig, I have two 2150's in my 4Runner!
    '08 F-250 (work truck) '08 Armada LE (wife's truck) '94 4Runner on Mog 404's (money pit) '55 Bel Air (family heirloom) '64 Pontiac LeMans (family heirloom) Scorpa SY-250, '08 TTR110 (daughter's bike) '02 PW 50 (daughter's bike) '02 XR 50 (son's bike)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast