Thread: The Lifesaver Bottle

The Lifesaver Bottle

[img width=400]http://www.lifesaversystems.com/press%20images%20(hi-res)/LIFESAVER%20bottle%2005.jpg[/img]

Check out this world's first ultra filtration water bottle system. This Lifesaver bottle can filter out bacteria, viruses, parasites, fungi and all other microbiological waterborne pathogens. The concept behind it is relatively simple, based upon the simple fact that the smallest virus is 25 nanometers across, designing a filter with holes that are only 15 nanometers across ensures that all of the bad stuff gets filtered effectively without the use of chemicals.

The real beauty resides on the simplicity of the bottle. To use, just fill the bottle by filler the base. Once filled just pump the water through the filter a few times and then the clean water can be directly drunk or poured into a separate container from the other end. Can't get any simpler than that eh? Definitely helps for those third world countries.

[img width=400]http://www.lifesaversystems.com/press%20images%20(hi-res)/LIFESAVER%20bottle%2008.jpg[/img]

The filter is replaceable (not sure if it's recyclable) and can treat about 4000 liters of water (a good 5 years of supply). The filter is also able to filter 750ml of water just under a minute so that's a great perk to know.

These bad boys are pretty pricey though. Expect to pay well over $400 but just keep in mind that this is an one of a kind unit so once other companies begin developing similar units the price will definitely drop.

[img width=400]http://www.lifesaversystems.com/press%20images%20(hi-res)/LIFESAVER%20bottle%2020.jpg[/img]

Would be nice if they can make something like this where we can use salt water now that'll be pimp! haha

Source: USA Website
    Source: UK Website
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Re: The Lifesaver Bottle

Thats Cool. I've been thinking of getting one of those little purifying pump setups to keep in the truck/pack. Not sure I understand what the difference is unless it's just the self contained package?
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

would be cooler if it could distill water as well using salt water.

then if i was ever marooned on an island with coconuts, id be fine for a good bit. except id kill myself from bordeom.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

looks really slick, but for 1/2 the price I'll stick with my Katadyn

Removes particles, bacteria, cysts and parasites larger than 0.2 microns (.2 micron = 20 nanometers), including protozoa such as giardia and cryptosporidia
    Comes with two abrasive pads to clean the pores of field-maintainable ceramic filter
    Ceramic filter is silver-impregnated to inhibit bacterial growth inside its pores
    Quick-connect adapter sends the filtered water directly into your REI hydration pack or Nalgeneï½® reservoir
    .86L per minute
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Everyone needs a purifier in thier gear bag. No camping trip should be without one. I hate lugging water, so I just bring a couple Nalgene bottles and my purifier.

Lifesaver seems too exspensive to me.

I've got one of these:

Steri-Pen Adventurer

REI Link

• Requires no pumping, chemicals, test strips, extended time-keeping or filters; leaves no aftertaste, will not clog and does not require lubrication
    • Ultraviolet (UV-C) light rays safely sterilize clear water by destroying protozoa (including Giardia and Cryptosporidium), bacteria and even viruses
    • Purifies 16 fl. oz. of water (cold or warm) in less than a minute, or 32 fl. oz. in a minute and a half

Probably no good for treating water out of a swamp like they show in the OP's picture ( ), but works for mountain streams and the like. I bring it with me to Mexico also, so I can treat glasses of tap water and such. It's a very cool little gadget
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox
    I've got one of these:

Steri-Pen Adventurer

REI Link

• Requires no pumping, chemicals, test strips, extended time-keeping or filters; leaves no aftertaste, will not clog and does not require lubrication
    • Ultraviolet (UV-C) light rays safely sterilize clear water by destroying protozoa (including Giardia and Cryptosporidium), bacteria and even viruses
    • Purifies 16 fl. oz. of water (cold or warm) in less than a minute, or 32 fl. oz. in a minute and a half

Probably no good for treating water out of a swamp like they show in the OP's picture ( ), but works for mountain streams and the like. I bring it with me to Mexico also, so I can treat glasses of tap water and such. It's a very cool little gadget
    Whats the price like on one of these? Also, the downside I see to it, is the no filtration, while it is killing all the bacteria, it isnt getting the dirt and or debris out of the water like a filtration system would...
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    Whats the price like on one of these? Also, the downside I see to it, is the no filtration, while it is killing all the bacteria, it isnt getting the dirt and or debris out of the water like a filtration system would...
    The one above is $100 on REI.com, I think I got mine on sale for $80 or something. It is true that if you aren't using "clear" water to start with, you need to pre-filter the water. You can get a little pre-filter attachment for the top of your canteen for $14. I put a clean bandana over the mouth of my canteen and that seems to keep enough of the crud out for my taste (when filling from "clear" mountain streams). YRMV.

If the water source you're taking from is clear, this is a good solution, but for mucky stuff I think I'd trust a water filter like the Katadyn more...

Steri-Pen products listing on REI.com
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.