Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post your bike collection

Post your bike collection

This marks the first time all of my bikes have been clean, lubed and ready to ride at the same time. That was monumental enough to warrant a photo.

Left to Right, a 2006 Rocky Mountain Element 70 full suspension, a 1999 Rocky Mountain Oxygen Race hardtail and my commuter scooter...a 2002 (?) Diamond Back WCF 2.0 (Welded Carbon Fiber) hardtail.

I apparently do not discriminate when it comes to suspension fork manufacturers; I have a Rock Shox Judy SL on the commuter, a Marzocchi Z2 BAM on the '99 and a Fox F100X on the 06. The Fox is an amazing fork. It automatically locks out when climbing and unlocks when needed. Unlike the original "brain" forks, it really works. The Marzocchi has been amazing in terms of reliability. In nine years it blew once on the Downeyville Downhill and has only had two oil changes in its life, yet has been nearly flawless. The Judy SL is 'okay.'

The commuter has a light setup and racks and paniers for carrying my stuff to work everyday.

The two Rocky Mountains were purchased new and the Diamond Back I bought used from a friend. He bought two identical bikes, one for himself and one for his wife. He ordered the bikes and had them built with stem and handlebar upgrades, bar ends, suspension seatpost, air cartridges in the forks, brake beefers, roller cams on the V-brakes, and bike computers. When my last bike was stolen, he said "come get one of mine." He was pissed that he spent all this money on the bike and his wife never rode it. The bike computer showed 36 miles (total!) in four years. I paid $150, not really knowing what I was getting, only to find later that he had $1800 into it.

If you've got a bike collection, post it up!

Re: Post your bike collection

i've only got my rockhopper, but looking to get another; either a urban freeride type bike to mess around with on campus or another trail bike to convert to singlespeed, just for kicks... just depends on which i stumble upon first

back when it was new:

have since added:

BBG bashguard in place of biggest chain ring
    Time Alium clipless pedals
    chainstay protector
    cateye enduro 8 computer

current pic in my dorm room:

I want to take it to 1x8 and get rid of the front derailluer all together but my legs are not strong enough yet...

Also would like disc brakes but need a new wheelset before that happens...

A new fork would be nice too............

Only bike I have and it's brand spankin' new. 36 miles on it:

[img width=800 height=530]http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa298/b612photo/yotatech/c04102ea.jpg[/img]

Marin Bobcat Trail, '08.

All I could afford, too. I'd love to read about upgrades, etc, but I know where that path leads. Soon the bike will 'need' all sorts of things and next thing I know, I'm BROKE. Enjoying the bike as it is for now

'96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

Tourist

I've posted these before, I believe there's another thread like this already:

Left to right...
    Mine: 97 Trek 930 mtb
    Hubby's: 98 or '9 Cannondale mtb
    Mine: 96 Gary Fisher Supercaliber mtb
    Mine: 98 Raleigh R700 road bike
    His: 80-something Trek road bike
    His: Calnago steel Mapei road bike
    Mine: 91 Trek 830 Antelope mtb
    Kid's: Kid's Gary Fisher mtb
    Kid's: Kid's 16" something I can't remember right now, specialized I think
    His: Ellsworth Truth mtb

Not pictured:
    Kid's: 91 Trek aluminum road bike
    His: Trek tandem hybrid
    Mine: 06 Cannondale mtb tandem
    Kid's: Specialized 20" Hot Rock

I think that's it.

My two favorites...

with my stoker on Monarch Crest, CO. We've put 2000 miles on it since april 07. Not bad for a 3, then 4 and now just turned 5 year old!

Slickrock, Moab, pre-stoker. This was my race bike and still my favorite solo bike.
    '96 4Runner SR5 4x4, manual, e-locker, manual hubs too. Stuff happened to it. Stuff is still happening to it.
    '99 4Runner SR5 Highlander, manual w/locker. Stuff is starting to happen to this one too...but not too much stuff.
    http://www.yotatech.com/f200/habaner...thread-201751/
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco View Post
    Sometimes guys like to be treated like princesses too!

^^^ holy cripes...impressive number of bikes you have there!

Tourist

Ha! I used to have a life!

Oh yeah, and then I met another bikey person in, of all places, the woods. During a race. Can't seem to get rid of any of the bikes since the Flandria road bike back when. We do use every one of those for various reasons.
    '96 4Runner SR5 4x4, manual, e-locker, manual hubs too. Stuff happened to it. Stuff is still happening to it.
    '99 4Runner SR5 Highlander, manual w/locker. Stuff is starting to happen to this one too...but not too much stuff.

I understand completely. We have six bikes total for two people and there are two more on the list. One of them might even be a roadbike for paddlenbike!

Tourist

And the madness begins...(ok, so with that many bikes you're already solidly involved)....

What do you have in mind for a roadie? What are your plans for it?

Not sure. I have never really been interested in roadbiking until I hear about the group rides and centuries, those sound fun. The only bike I have ever ridden was a test ride of a Specialized Roubeaux Comp. I know I want something with a good ride (since I am used to a softtail mtb), which pretty much rules out aluminum. The biggest decision people seem to fight with is double or triple [chainring]. As you can see, I am not very far along in the decision-making process.

Tourist

Sounds like you've got the beginnings of a plan, though, and you're right about aluminum being a harsh ride, even with a carbon fork such as mine has. The hubby has a triple for early season (we don't have giant hills, but some are very steep) and a double for later on. Group rides are fun and can be done on about any bike, though it's generally quicker and easier to keep up with everyone with a road bike. It is fun to blow past roadies on an mtb and that's the other fun thing about a group ride, you can usually find someone you are faster than. You also get to think about geometry from touring on up. If you've got some relaxed group rides in your area try it out on your mtb or commuter, if you can handle the mileage on them.
    A guy just joined our tuesday group on a hybrid. He did the whole 22 miles with me beating up on him with the tandem. He then borrowed a 54cm Specialized road bike for the next week and beat up on me! This coming week he's borrowing my 56cm Raleigh road bike to get a better idea of what fits and feels good before he buys. Test ride test ride test ride!

I'm tired, it's late, I'm rambling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast