Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOLY HONEY BEES!

Re: HOLY HONEY BEES!

I say if you decide to handle it yourself, be sure to video tape it and post back here.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

definitely video tape it.
    Brian

Nice! Just went through the very same thing. While hanging out on the patio two weeks ago, my Dad noticed a huge swarm of bugs on the 'back-4'0 along my property line. Guessing it was either a mosquito or caddis fly hatch, I strolled out to have a look. As I got to about 25 yards, I realized by the sound and size, it was a swarm of bees. They had started to form two small squirming football sized cones about 3 feet off the ground in one of my Spruce trees, which weren't there just an hour or two before. After a closer look I could see they were Honeybees, so I didn't want to destroy them, but I had to do something since I have two young kids and a Lab that loves to chase/eat flies/bees.

BTW, tulsa_sr5 is correct. Honeybees have suffer enormous losses over the past few years due to Colony Collapse Disorder among other things. So much so, that some states are paying large sums of money to import bees, since their collapse directly effects pollination of produce, flowers, etc (ie. apple, peach, pumpkin orchards, etc). Researchers believe the colonies are suffering from some form of mite, but aren't completely sure.

Not sure where to start, I went to my neighbor who's a PGC Office (PA Game Commission) and asked him if he know of any beekeepers. Miraculously he did, and gave me a number. Well, being a holiday weekend and a Sunday afternoon to boot, no one answered so I left a voicemail. Phone book will have something, right?!? Wrong. Absolutely nothing. Broke out the laptop and hit the net. Found some info on the PA Beekeepers Association, but no directory info for beekeepers. An entire evening went by with no returned calls, and by evening the colony had formed in one large squirming cone.

My hope was that they'd disperse by midday the following day, but that didn't happen, so I called a buddy whose a native to the area. Long story short, he know a guy, who knew a guy, who was a beekeeper and got me his number. Before I could call the guy, he had called and left a VM on my cell. I called him back and he was thrilled to help me out if I would allow him to setup a bee box for about a week to give the colony some time to get established in the box. Sure... no sweat.

He showed up in about an hour with a bee box and estimated the colony was between 5,000 - 10,000 bees. Took him about 10 minutes to setup the box and get suited up, another 10 minutes to shake the large ball of bees into their new home. Then he hung around for about 20 minutes to be sure he had successfully gotten the queen bee into the box. Getting the queen bee into the box is a critical step. Without the queen, the worker/drone bees will not populate the box. Everything looked good, and he asked if he could stop by the next morning to check on the bees. "Sure... stop by anytime you like". He stopped a couple times a day the first day or two, then being confident they were fine, said he'd be back Saturday just before dark to pickup the box.

He was quite thankful, and hopes the colony will help pollinate his apple and peach trees as last year they failed to produce. He also offered honey from the first batch once the colony is well established, saying the honey will likely not be available till next year as the hive must establish enough honey to survive the winter, before he can collect the excess.

Definitely a cool learning experience for me and the kids! I'll post some pics later.

EDIT: Updated w/ pics

Colony in my Spruce tree:
    [img width=800 height=600]http://www.personal.psu.edu/skr8/host/Honeybee.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=600]http://www.personal.psu.edu/skr8/host/Honeybee2.jpg[/img]

Spraying sugar water on them to "keep 'em busy":
    [img width=800 height=600]http://www.personal.psu.edu/skr8/host/Honeybee3.jpg[/img]

Setting up the box:

Shaking the colony into the box:

[img width=800 height=600]http://www.personal.psu.edu/skr8/host/Honeybee6.jpg[/img]

Home, sweet home:
    [img width=800 height=600]http://www.personal.psu.edu/skr8/host/Honeybee7.jpg[/img]
    -Scott<br />&#039;01 Black SR5 4x4 w/ Black Pearl&#039;s: Detroit Truetrac | Tundra/OME 890s w/ Tokico Trekmasters | SS Diff Drop/Panhard | Tundra rotors/calipers | Rear Diff Breather Extension | Hayden cooler | K&amp;N | ISR | Deckplate | Jet Black PC&#039;d LC 16x8&#039;s w/ LT265/75R16 Cooper S/T&#039;s

Bob you're definitely a green freak! From having your biodiesel hobby to harvesting honey bees? dude what's next?

I agree with hillbilly 110%. We're definitely experiencing a strange phenomenon regarding a sudden decrease in honey bees so if this is indeed a honey bee nest I'd contact someone that can take it and use it rather than kill em. Call around and see if anyone in the area knows someone that will be able to take it off your hands no questions asked (and preserve it rather than killing em).

O don't forget to take videos of this action cuz I'd like to see you get stung

Btw did you see the news feature yesterday in Chatsworth where they found a large colony of bees attacking someone with 200+ stings? ouch! News Article

Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    I say if you decide to handle it yourself, be sure to video tape it and post back here.
    you just want to see my ass bit

i checked this morning and all the bees are on the honey comb. i think they are trying to keep it warm. i feel bad now. so when i get home, im going to put a box on it with a small hole so the comb can stay warm. when i have time today, im gonna call some #s of some beekeepers

scott: yeah, its hard to find beekeepers. i'm gonna call my local armstrong garden center and see if they have some leads

slowly pick up the lid and put it back on the can.....
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

.... well after dark while wearing foil underwear. (You'll wish you had it if you don't.)
    -Scott<br />&#039;01 Black SR5 4x4 w/ Black Pearl&#039;s: Detroit Truetrac | Tundra/OME 890s w/ Tokico Trekmasters | SS Diff Drop/Panhard | Tundra rotors/calipers | Rear Diff Breather Extension | Hayden cooler | K&amp;N | ISR | Deckplate | Jet Black PC&#039;d LC 16x8&#039;s w/ LT265/75R16 Cooper S/T&#039;s

keep us posted on this, bob..... especially if you get stung
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

lol... too damn funny. just make sure that SOMEONE, ANYONE is no more than 15' away with camera in hand when you pick up that lid to put it back on.
    -andy

Bob, in downtown LA at the City Hall every Thursday there's a farmers market and a bee keeper comes from Ventura to sell expensive honey. I'll try to get their information for ya, if you still need it.
    -Jc1996 SR5 4WD 5SPD 4RunnerStock till 213,000 milesSonoran SS rear brake line|Sonoran diff drop|Sonoran Panhard drop bracket|SAW 2.5 C/O's|OME891-N86|Magnaflow 24|Deckplate Mod|Trueflow Airfilter|BruceTS Rear Bumper|Airaid MIT|Shrockworks Front Bumper|Trail-mart 67 sliders

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast