Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOLY HONEY BEES!

HOLY HONEY BEES!

Hey guys,

I was out in my backyard yesterday surveying some of the work I need to do in the backyard. I noticed that a bunch of bees were going in and out of our garbage can. So when I went to lift the lid, a bunch came out.

So finally today I decided that i'd tip the lid off and see what's up. Well I flicked it pretty good and here's what I uncovered:

[img width=800 height=542]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w177/bob98sr5/forsale/honeybees.jpg[/img]

Ok, that looks like some nice honey and i dont want to destroy the work (not sure if i have already though) :\ But you know, i still need to use the backyard. So what to do? And one option is out: I am not paying a beekeeper to take this away! Any suggestions?

Bob

Re: HOLY HONEY BEES!

there was a guy on ttora or pirate that had the same thing happen in his area.

bee keeper maybe? they can remove them and you keep the honey, or whatever works.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

youre sill alive, so i dont think you have to worry about them being killer bees.

if you are brave, get some wood smoldering and smoke em down real good, then gently remove the combs.

personally, id call a vector control person out and have it taken away. i dont get along very well with bees or wasps.

i should add, if you do keep the combs, i call dibs on the wax. i could really use it for some lost wax castings i need to do!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

As I understand it honey bees are dying off at an alarming rate for some unknown reason. I'd call a local bee keeper, you might be surprised that what they will do for free. Please don't spray them or anything before you find out (from the comments you made I'm guessing you hadn't considered drastic actions yet)
    Brian

Didn't you say that you had issues with your neighbours? Switch garbage can lids with theirs.

Or, just put it in Lance's trunk next time he comes over. Have camcorder ready for the hilarity.
    My signature

I am pretty sure bee keepers will take them for free. Honey bees are normally not aggressive like wasps & hornets.
    2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8
    2011 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Didn't you say that you had issues with your neighbours? Switch garbage can lids with theirs.

Or, just put it in Lance's trunk next time he comes over. Have camcorder ready for the hilarity.
    I like Chris' ideas! I commend you sir for not dropping an M80 in there and calling it 'done.'

wow....for starters, I would say its obvious that you dont use your trash can very often. You dont have kids do you Bob? If not, take the risk. Leave it there till the end of the summer, and see what you get. if it becomes a problem, call a beekeeper, I think will definitely take them for free.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

WOW! how (un)often do you take out the trash???

yeah, haha. this is our backyard trash can. we just threw out some weeds and other organic stuff 2 weeks ago. wasn't much.

anyways, i dont want to kill it so ill make some calls to some bee people. i think pest control people will kill them so thats out of the question.

bob

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast