Thread: 3rd gen Lower Control Arm Skids

3rd gen Lower Control Arm Skids

Hey all, I just heard that Toyteclifts is putting the Rear Lower Control Arm Skids on sale.
    They are $40 off, priced at $119 (plus shipping) ubtill the end of the month. Part # LCAS-2
    Ive had mine for awhile and love them
    heres there link http://www.toyteclifts.com/96024runn...errearliftopts (scroll down)
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Re: 3rd gen Lower Control Arm Skids

sorry for posting that in the wrong section
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Made a little time to weld up the Rear LCR skids. Again thanks to Ric for the help. This is one of those times where his brain and second set of hands really made the difference of it getting done or not.

Link to the skids

I have to say that these skids are very well made. If you end up getting them it doesn't take long to understand why they are worth the money. The machining is done so well on the skid that you can just take the stock LCRs off and weld them on without worrying about alignment issues. They fit like a glove. Really nice work. They are also thick. I should have measured but I think the bottom of is is about 1/2" at it's thinnest point. Plenty to prevent the normal bending of the LCR when bumping it over and obstacle causes it to land wrong.

If you have not taken off your LCRs before it's not hard. Jack stand your rig, remove the wheel, disconnect your sway bar end links, two bolts to get the LCR out. You might have to move your axle with a jack and tap the LCR with a mallot to get it out but it's pretty straight forward. Take the LCRs out one at a time to prevent the axle from pulling away from the drive shaft too far.

You don't need to weld the skid on the entire length of the LCR three stitches each a couple of inches long on each seam should be plenty. You can see in the photo that I siliconed the gaps to prevent rust and then shot it with paint.

Here they are painted and installed. This is the passenger side.

Close up of the arm going to the frame rail mount.
    [img width=800 height=532]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p100/glenyoshida/2008%20Wheeling%20Related%20Photos/081103%20Rear%20LCR%20Skid/IMG_5277.jpg[/img]

Driver's side
    [img width=800 height=532]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p100/glenyoshida/2008%20Wheeling%20Related%20Photos/081103%20Rear%20LCR%20Skid/IMG_5282.jpg[/img]

Since the wheels were off I added a bead on the top edge of the Panhard drop bracket. It cracked at the edge of the weld from stress. It's designed to be a bolt on product but I put a bead on it anyway. I'll likely have to grind and cut the thing off and weld it again with a bead that wraps around the side but maybe I'll get lucky and it will hold.
    [img width=800 height=532]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p100/glenyoshida/2008%20Wheeling%20Related%20Photos/081103%20Rear%20LCR%20Skid/IMG_5290.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=532]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p100/glenyoshida/2008%20Wheeling%20Related%20Photos/081103%20Rear%20LCR%20Skid/IMG_5293.jpg[/img]
    2001 4Runner SR5 - 1.5&quot; 4Crwaler BL | Toytec Coilovers TT-AFCS-550 | <br />OME 891s | Bilstein 4R96-BIL | Armorology Bull Bar | Warn M8000 | Engle 14 quart Freezer/Warmer&nbsp; MHFD-015E-D | Cobra 18WXSTII&nbsp; | Thule basket | Yokohama Geolander MT+ 305/70R16 | Low profile cargo | rear seat panel | Laptop mount | Globalsat BU-353 GPS |&nbsp; NGEO Topo | Delorme Topo.

if yo wheel your truck hard, weld the drop bracket on the sides to. it will break with juust the top, ask 20005spd
    trd supercharger rear elocker 4.30 gears

Cool, tig no less.

Quote Originally Posted by 4runfun
    if you wheel your truck hard, weld the drop bracket on the sides to. it will break with juust the top, ask 20005spd
    I don't consider myself a hard wheeler by any means but yeah, that's what happened the first time. Good to know to expect it again. Thanks for the heads up.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Cool, tig no less.
    Good eye. I still have a lot of practice and learning to go before my beads look nice but I sure do enjoy it. There are days when I'm just looking around for something to weld.

I'm looking forward to having the skids the next time out. I always kind of worried about the LCRs after seeing others bend 'em up so easily. I definitely want the LCR Mount Skids too. It'll be nice to be able to save them before the bashing. I figure better to pay the $160 now, get some cool skids, and avoid the work and cost of new LCRs later.
    2001 4Runner SR5 - 1.5&quot; 4Crwaler BL | Toytec Coilovers TT-AFCS-550 | <br />OME 891s | Bilstein 4R96-BIL | Armorology Bull Bar | Warn M8000 | Engle 14 quart Freezer/Warmer&nbsp; MHFD-015E-D | Cobra 18WXSTII&nbsp; | Thule basket | Yokohama Geolander MT+ 305/70R16 | Low profile cargo | rear seat panel | Laptop mount | Globalsat BU-353 GPS |&nbsp; NGEO Topo | Delorme Topo.

ya ask me, i watched 4runfun's rear end shake around all day on the trail one time i never had problems with mine but id like to add a support like ive seen a few people do just for reassurance. thatll give you something else to weld too
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 20005spd
    ya ask me, i watched 4runfun's rear end shake around all day on the trail one time i never had problems with mine but id like to add a support like ive seen a few people do just for reassurance. thatll give you something else to weld too
    Next time you come to the Colorado Rockies for some good wheeling drop me a line we'll weld that puppy up!

oh i meant that can be something for you to weld on your own truck im thousands of miles away from the rockies. i would like to get out to that area sometime though, i would havta meet up with some of you in the area for some sick wheelin
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com