Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glass Replacment Question

Glass Replacment Question

Please spare me the questions, I just need to get this fixed for now.

1998 4Runner: My passenger cargo window broke. Couple questions... Do I need to get new weather stripping from the dealer or will an auto glass place provide/install that? Also, this window comes from the factory with some tint on it, will a replacement piece already have tint or will I need to tell them just to match the tint on the other window.

I would call around but it's Sunday so I figured yall are my next best resource...

Thanks.

Re: Glass Replacment Question

Well, don't quote me on this. But I imagine that an auto glass place would provide and install the new weather stripping.

As for the tint, I'd just ask them, but I can see it going both ways. Since it's only a factory tint, I could see them carrying replacement windows with the factory tint already on them.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

3rd gen 4runners are a little different than the 2nd gens in how the windows attach to the truck, but it's the same idea. Basically, all the molding that goes around the window is integral to the glass. When you buy the glass, everything comes with it.

Different colors of 4runners might have different colors of tint.

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...26&topic=498.0
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Yes, most rear cargo glass comes with the weather stripping but make sure to ask if it is included in the price when you get it done. I'm not sure if the rears had different tints or not. I know for sure the front and side roll up windows did come in different flavors (ie you can get a green tint or a "rose" tint front windshield and same went for the side rollup windows). The tint usually depended on where the vehicle was sold (northeast usually got green, southwest got rose, etc).
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Cool, thanks guys! Eases my mind a bit, I need to get this done soon...

why dont you call? Dont forget to get multiple estimates and buy QUALITY glass. Dont get any of the cheap stuff...just my .02
    1996 4runner SR5- Bunch of goodies that make it clunck<br /><br />2008 Acura TL

Quote Originally Posted by localmotion
    why dont you call?
    i dont know.

Quote Originally Posted by garrett
    I would call around but it's Sunday so I figured yall are my next best resource...
    why don't you read?

garrett,

steve is right: the window is integrated with the rubber moulding. along with that, there are plugs in the moulding that will allow it to be snapped into holes in the body panel.

the window replacement guy should remove the old window, put some black slime sealant/adhesive, and snap the window in place.

the window is pre-tinted and you should buy oem if you want it to look good. trust me, if its off by even 2-3%, you'll notice.

i think i have a picture somewhere of this entire window assembly

bob

thanks bob! PM'd you!

garrett,

i had a shaky window that would tap like a fargin' woodpecker on certain days and on certain types of roads. what i ended up doing was i went to my friend's body shop and he called up his window guy. the guy took a right angled reciprocating blade, cut beneath the seal, and pulled out the window. the recip blade took care of the plugs like a hot knife thru butter.

why i bring this up is that if you plan on doing this yourself, you will have to contend with the cutting and mounting. i think its not insurmountable, but how you get through the seal and the plugs w/o specialized tools is beyond me. ask steve, he'll know from a 2nd gen perspective, but the 2nd gens are affixed in a differnt way.

i would do some compairson shopping first and if too expensive, call a toyota parts vendor like evan at northridge toyota to get a price quote and hopefully a diagram.

bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast