Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.0 died, time for the 3.4 :)

3.0 died, time for the 3.4 :)

the 4runner died about a week ago while I was driving down the highway...
    I started losing power and heard a knocking and about 10 seconds later there was an explosion and I saw sparks flying out the rear of the truck...
    I pulled over immediately and there was already a pool of oil on the ground... needless to say, we pulled it home and soon found that something had shot out the side of the block...

It looks like a part of a piston, but it's hard to tell since it's so crowded in there...
    but, it doesn't really matter because the engine is shot and I will be switching it with the 3.4 as soon as I can come up with the money to buy it...
    I've already started fixing up my 77 f150, so I can sell it and use the money to buy an engine...

I'd like to have it painted, and running fairly decent by the end of June...

--------Info I'd like to know--------

----I need to find wiring diagrams for the 3.4 and 3.0

----I need to find some decent write ups on the swap (I've seen a couple but they weren't that great)

----any advice would be greatly appreciated

I want to have this engine in the 4runner by the middle of August...
    1990 v6 4runner
    Engine: Chevy 4.3 Vortec/Edelbrock Performer Intake & Carburetor
    Front: Trail Gear 3in. Lift Leafs / Bilstein Shocks / ARB Air Locker
    Rear: Chevy 63in. Leafs / 3in. blocks / OME Shocks / ARB Air Locker
    Tires: 35 x 12.50 x 15

Re: 3.0 died, time for the 3.4 :)

Nice carnage, good luck on the swap.

a friend and i just finished working out the bugs on his 3.4 swap in a 95 pickup. he bought the ors kit, their instructions helped but left some grey areas. ours was very difficult since our 3.4 had a 1st gen trd supercharger(ors supplies no 1st gen sc instructions). cant tell you how many times we checked and recheckd everything, had 3 or 4 sets of diagrams in front of us while we scratched our heads to make it right. we used the 3.4 in my truck to check vaccum lines and wires many many times. i cant really give you any advise since there is to much, but once you start this post up all your questions ill be glad to assist

edit: and its so worth the work and money
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

First, if at all possible, try to get your 3.4 with all the add-ons and the ECU from a single donor truck, in the same configuration as your Runner (5 speed or auto)! This, alone, will make your life immensely easier during the conversion. Be sure to also get the VIN from the donor, as it may come in handy down the road for repairs, when they become necessary. You'll have transmission issues to work out, if you are doing an auto, but the 5 speed is a straight bolt up and go.

The ORS site has a pretty comprehensive list of what you will need, but I would add the FSMs for both your Runner, and the Donor Truck/Runner, and they need to be year specific (especially if you plan to do your own wring). Try to get an engine with less than 100k miles, if you can, and plan on doing a 90k service to it, before you install it.

You will need extra clearence for the intake plenum of the 3.4, either through a body lift (1 1/2" is probably as small as you would want to go), or installing a scoop or power bulge on you hood. Your biggest fabrication issues will be with what you choose to do with the exhaust.

The 3.4 conversion is very popular on TOB, and there is a section dedicated to it. Read the stickied threads there, and you'll get a good feel for what you are getting yourself into.

I love the 3.4 in my '90 truck! I get way better milage, with way better power and drivability!

Good luck with yours, and feel free to ask questions. I'll do my best to chime in with answers!

I found a guy with a 97 engine out of a 4runner. He said he'd sell the engine, wiring harness and ecu for 1200, but the engine has 200k...

Quote Originally Posted by breknraj

I love the 3.4 in my '90 truck! I get way better milage, with way better power and drivability

what kind of gas mileage do you get?

and how different is the power?

what gears do you have?
    1990 v6 4runner

so here's an update...

the 4runner is still sitting in the garage, with the busted motor still in it...

the F-150 is done, and up for sale.... here's some pics

I think I'll be selling it for around $2,500 O.B.O. (for anyone interested)

I got it finished July 5th, a little behind schedule but hopefully I can have it sold and have the 5vzfe in the 4runner by the middle of august...

I'll be in alaska from the 9th until the 25th... (we'll see what I actually get done)
    1990 v6 4runner

I dig the F150 - that is my favorite body style. Unfortunately I have no use for it, but still dig it. Good luck getting it sold.
    Brian

ditch the 2nd gen get a 3rd gen, just to avoid all the hassle. the 3rd gen body style is the most prefered anyway, that's a poll on YT shows that.

it sucks to see people spending 3-4 grand and couple months of time just to find out at the end that the 3.4L just doesn't work as they expected. plus you have to register it with a new motor and the emission stuff(if there is any in your state). the advantage of buying a 3rd gen is you know if it's working or not before handing out your money.
    94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

what kind of gas mileage do you get?

and how different is the power?

what gears do you have?

Keep in mind that I live at high altitude, and use 85 octane because of that.

My milage went from about 14-15 mpg with the 3.0 to about 19-20 with the 3.4, and, while I'm not nutso, I'm also not particularly easy on the throttle, either.

The power is very noticably better, and I actually have to watch my highway speeds, now (something I never had to do with the 3.0). I find that the trail power is a lot easier to manage at low speeds, too.

I'm running the stock 4.56 gears in my truck (5-speed).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast