Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never Heard of CV Break

Never Heard of CV Break

So i was wheelin on sunday and i lost power to my front wheels and only my rear were spinnin. Everyone i was with said broken cv but all the boots and visible parts looked good. Then axleike said maybe vacume lines and all those looked ok too. Then i realized gear oil was drippin from my driverside cv connection and the cv was popped out a little not giving it a good seal anymore lettin oil leak so i hammered it back in and thought it was good to go but i still didn't get power to the front tires... So one of my buddies and i went to change my cv yesterday and got it out and realized that the 3in section of the cv that goes intl the housing clean broke in half. that is in solid steal that broke in half!!! so there was still a 1.5in piece of the axle in the diff still while the rest came out. i had never heard of this before and it is going to be a pain to get out!!! i was told by some to drop the diff to get it out and by the mechanic where i work that i can open the housing and try and pop it out that way without dropping the diff. the thing that makes this so hard to get out is that the c-clip is still in place at the end of the axle which whoever of you know that has changed you own cv before that it is a pain to get in let alone get out so i will with the help of other try and get this out. sorry i didn't get any pics of it but on sunday i will and post them up here.

bobby
    96 4Runner, 4in OME/LC lift (883&#039;s w/ top plate spacer, Land Cruiser&#039;s 8 coil) 2in Body Lift 315/75/16&#039;s. rear e-locker&nbsp; <br />I UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE JEEP THING THATS WHY I HAVE A TOYOTA!!

Re: Never Heard of CV Break

Bobby, its actually more common than you think. Quite a few folks have had issue with that.

I thought it might be that when popping it back in didn't work. Its pretty rare to see a clip come loose.

The reason I suggested dropping the diff is because you likely have chunks of broken axle in there. Its not good for that to grind around in the gears. It will also make getting the shaft out MUCH easier. I think you'll find that drilling the axle is damn near impossible, as it is hardened steel.

Often when an axle breaks, there are big chunks that won't come through the drain plug, so draining oil doesn't work.

Up to you, but I HIGHLY recommend taking the diff out, and opening it up, to both clean it, and get the broken shaft out.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

I doubt you got any metal inside. The easiest way to get the piece out is to remove the jackshaft on the passenger side, then simply take a thin screwdriver or punch to pop the piece out the other side. That's how I've always done it. If your that worried, drain the oil and refill.

BTW those torx bolts are a PITA to remove, so get the proper size before trying.....

You don't need to remove the diff....
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

i didn't think of hittin it from the other side. that could make things way easier!!! thanks bruce.
    96 4Runner, 4in OME/LC lift (883&#039;s w/ top plate spacer, Land Cruiser&#039;s 8 coil) 2in Body Lift 315/75/16&#039;s. rear e-locker&nbsp; <br />I UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE JEEP THING THATS WHY I HAVE A TOYOTA!!

this happened in my friend's taco.. i believe he drilled into it, then extracted it...

ill ask him.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    this happened in my friend's taco.. i believe he drilled into it, then extracted it...

ill ask him.
    he did drill it. i think he taped it with enough thread to use a slide hammer. but pulling out the other axle to hit it from the other side seems better. once you get the peice out you can match it with the other broken peice of shaft and see if your missing any big chunks.
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

Just to make sure you understand what I wrote earlier, you have to pull the jackshaft tube after the axle is removed. That's the part with the ADD actuator attached to it.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceTS

Just to make sure you understand what I wrote earlier, you have to pull the jackshaft tube after the axle is removed. That's the part with the ADD actuator attached to it.
    what do you mean by jackshaft?
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 20005spd
    Quote Originally Posted by lee

ill ask him.
    he did drill it. i think he taped it with enough thread to use a slide hammer. but pulling out the other axle to hit it from the other side seems better. once you get the peice out you can match it with the other broken peice of shaft and see if your missing any big chunks.
    yup that is what he did

definitely a better option to try first imo. it took him a matter of minutes and minimal effort.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast