Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Never Heard of CV Break

Re: Never Heard of CV Break

Sometimes those retainning clips hold that broken piece in so tight that even after drilling they still don't want to come out.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

I'm curious as to why you feel there isn't any broken shaft in there Bruce.

I've never seen a CV break, either early IFS or late IFS, that didn't have some residual pieces from the break.

Not being a dick here, just wondering.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

Quote Originally Posted by AxleIke
    I'm curious as to why you feel there isn't any broken shaft in there Bruce.

I've never seen a CV break, either early IFS or late IFS, that didn't have some residual pieces from the break.

Not being a dick here, just wondering.
    Usually they snap off fairly clean outside of the outer bearing, and the axle assy drops out. If by chance any debri does make it's way into the diff, the magnetic drain plug catches it, not enough to worry about tearing down to bother with.

If you drill the busted portion of the axle you actually create more debri that the break causes. There's a narrow spot between the bearing and outer seal that the metal shavings can drop between. I usually just smear some grease in there before driling then clean it out afterwards. Now if the broken axle is allowed to rub against the other half, you can wear off material, even then all I'd do is change the oil to clean it out.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Got it. Thanks.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

Quote Originally Posted by 20005spd
    what do you mean by jackshaft?
    The jackshaft is the intermediate shaft assembly between the diff and the cv axle.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2000/Repa...rrier/comp.pdf

Scroll down to SA-50 intermediate shaft No. 1, the spline end is identical to the inner CV's, this has to come out to get access.

ok i think i have a bad cv, whenever i turn right i feel something that doesnt seem right, how do i check this out to verify the cause?
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

just grab it shake it.. if it rattles around, its broken.

cv breakage usually means you have an accompanying noise though.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12