Thread: ARB Compressor Alternative Idea

ARB Compressor Alternative Idea

I am going to be getting an ARB air locker towards the end of the summer. I wanted to get a compressor that I can use for the locker and also for an occasional air-up.

My idea was to use a Superflow MV50 (150 max psi, 2.54 CFM)

http://www.parksoffroad.com/prodrevi.../mv50/mv50.htm

and also use a VIAIR pressure regulator (85 PSI on, 105 off) for this setup

http://www.viaircorp.com/90110.html

Anyone using this compressor for an ARB locker? Critiques/ Comments?

Re: ARB Compressor Alternative Idea

the MV50 is very popular for airing up tires but I haven't heard of anyone using this one for the lockers. As for the viair, that's by far one of the most popular air compressors that doubles as a compressor for the locker and airing up your tires.

I personally have an extremeaire air compressor (similar to viair). just another brand to throw out there.

They're all good stuff

Good luck!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Quote Originally Posted by NC994Run
    I am going to be getting an ARB air locker towards the end of the summer. I wanted to get a compressor that I can use for the locker and also for an occasional air-up.

My idea was to use a Superflow MV50 (150 max psi, 2.54 CFM)

http://www.parksoffroad.com/prodrevi.../mv50/mv50.htm

and also use a VIAIR pressure regulator (85 PSI on, 105 off) for this setup

http://www.viaircorp.com/90110.html

Anyone using this compressor for an ARB locker? Critiques/ Comments?
    I have that exact setup, and soon will have hard-mounted a second MV50 as well so that I have dual compressors on-board. Good choice on the pressure switch (the cmopressor will have a tough time passing 100psi in my experience, especially above about 5000ft asl). The compressor seems to work well but you'll need to re-tap the connections on the head for an NPT connection because the current threads are some weird non-standard size. I also replaced the "filter" on the compressor (if it can be called that) with a longish hose and a breather filter on the end of it for better filtering and higher intake. It's been working great so far, I need to take some pictures and update my "budget on-board air" thread.

If there was anything I could change, I would try and find an adjustable pressure switch that could go down to as low as maybe 80 psi, even if it was somewhat expensive. At 7000ft asl, the compressor can't get higher than about 90-95psi so my pressure switch doesn't actually do anything up here Still, hard to beat the price for all the parts.

Also, make sure and get one of Viair's one-way valves and put it in the air line after the compressor. The cheapy compressors tend to leak (and the expensive ones do after a while too) and unless you close off the line somehow, your system will leak down after a while. I have the one-way valve I mentioned, and I don't have to close off the tank from the compressor to prevent leaking, I just leave it the way it is and everything keeps pressure indefinitely.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

It'll work but you might need a small tank to minimize the compressor turning on and off all the time. I don't think it needs to be big. I have seen guys use paintball co2 canisters with a regulator and solenoid to run their ARB's. I would personally do this. It's cheap, light, and doesn't put a large strain on your electrical system. I would rather leave my MV50 removable and mobile than hardwire and hard mount for the lockers.

I tapped mine to NPT and added 3/8" fittings. I haven't done the 'filter' yet because as it is it'll fit into an ammo can with the low profile jobber. If you skip the CO2 route and use the MV50 make sure you have a regulator to set the pressure, I wouldn't rely on just the pressure switch.

For the CO2 thing search for Lowes, CO2 and locker on Pirate.

Oh and FWIW I don't think ARB compressors are worth the money. I would put a 5 dollar Cadillac compressor in before I'd buy and ARB. You cna search for those as well, they will operate an ARB and they're small and cheap.

I just got 2 MV1050's off Amazon for $26, so chances are i'll either use both for tires and get an ARB compact for the locker (just for ease of install) or use 1 for locker, 1 for tires