Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird Front-End CLUNK... = UPDATE = PROBLEM SOLVED

Weird Front-End CLUNK... = UPDATE = PROBLEM SOLVED

I have developed this weird front-end CLUNK that I'm having trouble diagnosing.

The noise occurs when the steering wheel is turned at least partially, and I move slowly over a bump, like a speed bump or rain gutter while turning, either steering wheel fixed on one position or in the process of moving. Most of the time, there will be some small "crack" noises here and there with one loud clunk/pop noise. It happens ONLY when going slowly AND turning. It will not do it when cycling the suspension while stationary, and it doesn't do it when going fast or straight. The sound appears to be coming from the driver side only.

I have checked the ball joints, and they appear to be perfect, no play, and good boots. The steering is nice and tight, and the linkages seem to be in good condition with no play, etc. No clicks when turning on flat, level ground w/ the AWD engaged. The top nut on the strut is good and tight, and the bushings on the top and bottom of the top plate appear to be in good shaope. Weird...

Anyway, I'm thinking that it's a CV axle/joint, and here's why. When turning, the CV joint is in a different position than for straight, normal driving. Combine that with a cycle of the suspension (upwards) and the CV joints on the driver side have to compress to take up the additional length as the wheel hub gets closer to the same elevation as the output of the differential.

I'm pretty sure that this is my issue, but I just want to check here to make sure. I have some Poly steering rack bushings (first thing I checked) ready to install since mine allow the rack to move almost an inch on flat ground. I'm also ready to replace the front shocks (148k on them) since the lower eye bushings are very weak even though the shocks still feel fine. I'm thinking of getting an Auto Zone CV Axle for $70 and swapping that while I'm already doing the other work.

Has anyone else had a similar noise, and if so, what was the cause?
    -andy

Re: Weird Front-End CLUNK...

i was thinking cv too...
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

If you rack checked out seems correct that your CV is issue. I just replaced both of mine; one ripped out of the cage and the other clicking on turns.
    1998 LTD|DoubleLocked|Yukon 4:88|SMP Bumpers &amp; Armor|315 BFG KM2|Sonoran Steel|BudBuilt|Warn Recovery &amp; Hubs<br />NewMexicoBackroads.blogspot.com

the are like $130 at autozone i suggest napa. i just got one there for $62. but at autozone they keep you in the computer for the lifetime warrenty but at napa you have to keep your recept. (or however you spell it. lol) but ya it does sound cv related...
    96 4Runner, 4in OME/LC lift (883&#039;s w/ top plate spacer, Land Cruiser&#039;s 8 coil) 2in Body Lift 315/75/16&#039;s. rear e-locker&nbsp; <br />I UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE JEEP THING THATS WHY I HAVE A TOYOTA!!

advance sells them for i think 70 with lifetime too
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

CV or swaybar bushing/mount
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

im battling the same clunking sound. i have a few other things to eliminate before i tackle new CV's, but im pretty sure thats what the issue is. hope that solves your problem. im also looking at replacing control arm bushings up front. mine have 150 miles on them and are probably shot.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

thanks for the input. the swaybar mount bushings are beginning to show a little weakness, but not to the point of deterioration. the end link bushings look good, and the nuts are on tight, so i don't think it's swaybar binding on the threads of the links.

i'm really leaning to the CV.

i think it was Advance, not Auto Zone that i got the last ones for the red 4runner for $70 each or something like that. i'll probably just get one of them and pop it in when i'm in there swapping front shocks and steering rack bushings.

-andy

andy, you ever post a pic of the black runner??
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

lol... come to think of it, i don't think i have.

it's stock, two-tone limited, except for the 17" sequoia gunmetal wheels (265/75 revo's on them).
    -andy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast