Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Lift Storage - Inside or Out?

Hi-Lift Storage - Inside or Out?

So I'm trying to make some more room inside and am thinking about putting my Hi-Lift on the rear bumper. It's been in side the 4runner in pieces for 3 years and still looks brand new. My buddy has his on his rear carrier and it didn't work the last time he needed it.

I've seen the full cases, hard and soft, not sure if I like them or can fit the hard case.

Anyone that stores their high lift outside have any good or bad experiences? Do you cover it, how often do you maintain it?

Thanks

93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

Re: Hi-Lift Storage - Inside or Out?

If you store it outside, you will most likely need to use some sort of lubricant before usage. Dirt has a tendency to gum up the works, especially if it's still new. Mine gets used so much that all the rough edges are worn down and it works like a champ everytime without lubing...

A word of advice.....If you haven't used a Hi-Lift much, practice with it and get familiar with the mechanics, it will save you alot of headache on the trail.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

i will be storing mine outside starting in a few weeks (actually, it will be stored in my garage, and only on the truck when i plan a trip, or even think that i might be offroad).

i will be making mounts to have it on the front bumper until i can fab up a rear bumper.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Mine lives outside, like stated earlier keep it lubed. I spray some Kroil on mine every once in a while.

Us californians and arizonans don't have to worry too much about rust. Mine's been outside for years now and I just have to give it a squirt of wd40 before use and it works just fine.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Thanks Guys. If I can fit it on the rear bumper Looks like I will. If I store it off the truck thats just one more thing to load/forget, besides it's not my daily driver anymore.

So do you recommend keep it lubed (picks up more dirt?) or lubing it when you use it? And what is Kroll?

Bruce thanks for the warning, I experienced the free fall feature the other day right after I read the warning. With all the bad press these things get I'm very wary of it. Gotta see if the OEM jack still works for me.
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

When I had my truck my hi lift lived in the bed since the day I got it. It needed some oil or "lube" every once in a while. We don't have problems with rust but I made sure mine was always painted. It lived in the bed because there was no where else to put it. The 4runner is small. If I'm packed for a trip I'm not sure where I'd put it and I'm not sure I would want the extra weight. My truck could travel fine with loads, actually it traveled best fully loaded, the 4runner is a different story. Anyways where ever it goes it needs to be secured so it doesn't go flying and so it doesn't get stolen. A lot of mounting that I have seen people do on roof racks is not secure enough. If the SOB goes flying and lands on your hood you know you need bigger zip ties.

Quote Originally Posted by RobG
    So do you recommend keep it lubed (picks up more dirt?) or lubing it when you use it? And what is Kroll?
    Kroil is a penetrating oil that is produced by a company called Kano. It is in a Orange can and works wonders on rusty bolts. I use the stuff called Sili-Kroil which contains silicone and it doesn't remain soupy, so it picks up less dirt. Its more exspensive then WD but it blows WD away.

I'd probably say lube it before use rather than keeping it wet all the time.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Mine is like Bruce's so well worn it works without lube, everytime.

I store mine inside attached to the stock roll bar in my '84 4Crawler style (although I made a custom mount, and didn't use his)
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast