Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a new toy!

Got a new toy!

PT40DV (DUAL-VOLTAGE) 40AMP PLASMA CUTTER $399.99 (this is the Pirate4x4 special price)
    http://www.parkermetalworking.com/

boy this thing is small, but it cuts like butter!

My first project will be to build a hydraulic sheet metal brake, then it's back to building bumpers.....
    I have a 40 ton press brake designed to be used with a shop press. I plan to build a framework and use 2-20 ton air over hydraulic rams.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Re: Got a new toy!

Sweet! That is one of the things I would really like to get someday. Very nice.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

i'm wondering how much you electric bill would be every month.
    94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

On the pirate4x4 thread they seem to be having a lot of problems with some of their machine circuitry as of late but I did not see any mention of the model you have. I assume the problems are with other models (or you wouldn't have purchased this one).

I also didn't see a cfm requirement for it on their website.

Had a chance to use it anymore?

For the price it certainly beats a $1200 MM Spectrum 375 which I have been wanting.

The one I got, they have had no real problems. One of their Plasma/TIG/Arc units would burn out the mosfet's only under specific conditions. They came up with a fix and shouldn't be an issued again. Parker is the only company that actually does component level repairs and if needed change the design to improve the product.

I'll be building the jigs today to make it easier to cut out for the trailer hitches and other parts..

As for air supply, you need a constant 70 psi, which was the reason I didn't get one til now. I finally hooked up that shop compressor, so I no longer have a supply problem.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceTS
    The one I got, they have had no real problems. One of their Plasma/TIG/Arc units would burn out the mosfet's only under specific conditions. They came up with a fix and shouldn't be an issued again. Parker is the only company that actually does component level repairs and if needed change the design to improve the product.

I'll be building the jigs today to make it easier to cut out for the trailer hitches and other parts..

As for air supply, you need a constant 70 psi, which was the reason I didn't get one til now. I finally hooked up that shop compressor, so I no longer have a supply problem.
    Thanks for the response!!! I hope to get one real soon...as long as shipping isn't $800.

$465 shipped

Bruce,

One question... What kind of electrical service do you need for your new toy? 220? 110?
    Cupholder Mod

110 or 220 to operate....

I'll just add to this one since I did make mention of it......

I started with northern tools 40 ton 29" press brake. In actuality the die size is 26", they just rate the size by overall width.http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6970_7902_7902

I was able to get 2 - 20 ton air/hydro jacks at HF on sale and then it was off to buy the steel to build the frame work. So this was my weekend project....

After inital assembly, I did a few test runs bending a 24" piece of 11 guage and then a 20" piece of 1/4". They bent like butter with hardly any load on the rams. I had planned on adding a few more braces, but decided it wasn't needed. This beast is heavy, total weight just under 300 lbs. Now to test out some 1/2"..........

The gap to the left of the dies was intentional, since one of the pieces I bend has a section that would hit the framework and needs to remain straight. I simply cut the base plate and added a 6" section, same with the upper die...

Total cost came just under $700

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast