Thread: Air Intake Question

Air Intake Question

Hey. I have a TRD Cold air intake on my V6 4.0L and i recently installed my magnaflow exhaust and i was wondering if you will get a better performance and sound if you take the top off of the cold air intake to let more air in? i know i did when i raced ATVs and it worked. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.

http://toyotapartspeople.com/SearchP...old+Air+Intake

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4.0L V6, Toyo Open Country A/T 275/65/17, OBX Shifter and Pedals, TRD Full Cold Air Intake, Cat Back Magnaflow Exhaust, Toytec 3in Front Coil Lift, 2.5in Rear Coil Lift, 17in KMC Revolver XD Rims,N-Fab Pre Runner Bumper Custom Fit to a 4Runner, PIAA 550 8" Lights for the Bumper Custom wired to the Interior.

Re: Air Intake Question

Part of the point of a cold air intake is to prevent the engine from ingesting air that has been heated in the engine bay. I imagine that taking the top off you air box will let hot engine air in. This works on ATV's because there is a constant supply of fresh cold air that has not been heated.

My truck is carburetted and I have a high flow pan type of air cleaner. The problem is that it still sucks air that has just come through the radiator and run across red hot headers. I'm trying to put together system to draw cold air in from somewhere.
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

Yea i tried taking it off it sounded better and i dint notice a difference in the power but i dont want to ruin anything. I know that the k&n ones dont come in enclosed boxes so i thought it would work like that idk. I put the top back on for now till i find out more.
    2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4.0L V6, Toyo Open Country A/T 275/65/17, OBX Shifter and Pedals, TRD Full Cold Air Intake, Cat Back Magnaflow Exhaust, Toytec 3in Front Coil Lift, 2.5in Rear Coil Lift, 17in KMC Revolver XD Rims,N-Fab Pre Runner Bumper Custom Fit to a 4Runner, PIAA 550 8&quot; Lights for the Bumper Custom wired to the Interior.

Colder air will indeed help but I'm not sure how much of a gain you'll notice. You're better of keeping it enclosed as designed.

Though you already have your K&N setup I'm not fond of their filters. I'm personally a big fan of True FLow's products.

They finally have one for your 4runner btw (v6 4.0L). Options for a drop in air filter or sealed air system (similar to the K&N one).

Good luck
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

I know this thread is a little old, but this question fits.

I need to clean and re-oil my True Flow air filter and I can't find any kits for sale. I've searched google and all of the items show as out of stock when I got to the retailers website.

Did True Flow go belly up or something?!

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

I use diluted dish soap and K&N oil for my tru flow. I haven't noticed any ill effects. It get's dirty at the same rate and the oil stays put. A local place to me sells several oils for washable filters.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    I use diluted dish soap and K&N oil for my tru flow. I haven't noticed any ill effects. It get's dirty at the same rate and the oil stays put. A local place to me sells several oils for washable filters.
    I was reading on another forum that they thought the K&N oil might damage the foam and that it wasn't as "tacky" as the True Flow oil. Sounds like you aren't seeing that to be true.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

I checked mine when I washed the truck last night. The foam is looking fine, just dirty. I guess you have to use it with caution then. The new K&N's come with drip oil and I used the aerisol. Not too much but just enough. The air box is not oily and is clean on the down filter side.

I need another cleaning so I'll probably look around because I think I used the last of the spray oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich_870
    I need to clean and re-oil my True Flow air filter and I can't find any kits for sale. I've searched google and all of the items show as out of stock when I got to the retailers website.

Did True Flow go belly up or something?!

Erich
    True Flow went broke. I have their intake kit, it's great. I have TWO of their filters for my 4Runner and they have been great too. It's also time to clean mine - I have no idea what to use for oil. I have looked around and I can not find any for sale. There was one on eBay a while ago but it was way overpriced and went quickly. K+N filter oil is apparently not the right stuff to use for this, I've also read that - though I haven't tried it.

I'm lost here too. I put in a OEM paper air filter...but the foam filter works waaayyy better.
    &#39;96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.