Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where does all this junk go? Bumper/Rack/Inside??

Where does all this junk go? Bumper/Rack/Inside??

This question grew from a discussion on 3gen 4Runner bumpers.

Is a guy better off mounting his junk (spare, fuel ect) on a solid roof rack then on the rear bumper? For those of us that actually use or should I say abuse our rigs, weight in the wrong places can have catastrophic results. My rig is use for light crawling but mainly as a support prerunner for desert racing.

Ever since my autocross/timetrial racing days I've always been a big fan of having a LCG so I’m not a big fan of putting a bunch of weight on my lid. On the flip side (pun) I don’t like having all that weight sticking out my backside working as a lever against a factor weak frame. Even assuming your frame has been braced, all that weight is still way out destroying your ride through the bumps and doubles as a land anchor when crawling.

What's the answer, where are you guys putting all this necessary stuff? In the back of my 4runner I have a pit box (tools, parts, recovery & fluids) and various gear that I don't want out in the elements. Its all strapped down no higher then the top of seats and the cooler is on floor behind driver seat, easy access for co-dog to get to.

Extras that need a home are:
    • My spare - currently in oem location underneath
    • Race truck spare - on top, on a bumper, inside??
    • Fuel - I hate how small the runners tank is plus I need to carry extra fuel for the race truck. I've carried it inside, but I usually end up sleepy with a smelling cab at best or a mess at worse.
    • Camping gear - inside or ontop
    Any suggestions?

God speed,<br />Steve Hanson<br />Racers For Christ<br />Rockcrawlers For Christ<br />www.teamrfc.org<br />--------------------<br />special thanks: bfgoodrich|trail gear|cbi fabrication|total chaos|arb|sway-a-way|aem electronics|lucas oil|trd|baja racks|bassani exhaust|spidertrax

Re: Where does all this junk go? Bumper/Rack/Inside??

I am assuming you have a 3rd Gen. so I can't really help you. What I did for a little space on my 86 is remove the rear seats. Then I proceded to put the fuel tank into floor, where my seats were. I built a cover, the I filled the space with a 36" tire. I then crowded my rear bed with a giant tool box, filled with tools and recovery gear. Oh yeah before all this I decided to bob my runner 11", so I could try and cram more crap into a smaller space.

What I did with the other space:

I removed rear paneling and put air hoses, spare tube and radiator hoses, rags, and anything that can take a dent. I put a crate behind the passeger seat with oil, coolant, stuff. A tool box was put behind driver with specialty tools. I filled the passenger seat with a slightly overweight, and hungry spotter. So I then strapped 2 Ice chests to the top of my spare tire and tool box, which made sure I could not see out of my rear view mirror. The duffel bag of clothing, 2 sleep bags, dry food (alot cause my spotter is hungry) and camp gear was stuffed somewhere.

Get a smaller spotter

I'd say a 4runner is a poor choice for a chase vehicle. You really need a pick up. That being said. I put all my heavy stuff behind the front seats and in front of the rear axle. If it works out better I put the rear seats down but this takes up the room on the floor in front of the rear seats. Some heavy stuff is big, others are small but awkwardly shaped. This is one of the reasons I had my last fullsize truck. I could pack anything in that thing.

While I don't have nearly the expedition/over loaded camping trip experience as some, I have to say that in my opinion carrying extra weight on the bumper is better. Spending the money and time upfront to strengthen the frame so you can carry more weight out back will keep your COG lower, allow for easier access and just looks cooler!

For vehicles that see on-road and off-road travel where extreme departure angles are not needed 99.9% of the time, it doesn't make any sense to sacrifice wind resistance and CG for a hang up that may never come.

Those who routinely travel on trails that require those departure angles are already advanced enough that they can figure out thier best option on thier own

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    I'd say a 4runner is a poor choice for a chase vehicle.
    Copy that! A 4Runner does have its benefits through. I spend a lot of nights on the roads and wanted something I could sleep in, it makes a great tent. It also carts the longboards around great and gives me the option to take a extra board to the beach and lock up the one I don't ride while I surf a session. Also, when I am in Mexico its offers more piece of mind having stuff locked up (if they want it they'll find a way but..). I try to keep one of the rear seats open for potential passengers (injured or broke down racers) and the other I fill with soft gear that wont kill you in a roll over such as coats and small duffel's. I hear ya though, behind the front seats is prime location for heavy gear (as long as its tied down. I tie everything down, in a SUV when you roll all the stuff hits the roof then it hits the occupants in the head.).

Thanks for your input, but it made me miss my ol truck.
    God speed,<br />Steve Hanson<br />Racers For Christ<br />Rockcrawlers For Christ<br />www.teamrfc.org<br />--------------------<br />special thanks: bfgoodrich|trail gear|cbi fabrication|total chaos|arb|sway-a-way|aem electronics|lucas oil|trd|baja racks|bassani exhaust|spidertrax

I totally know what you mean by missing an old truck. I like my 4runner because stuff can be locked inside where it is safe and dry. That wasn't always the case with my truck. The truck had space everywhere but didn't fir all my needs. It was paid for and cheap to insure. I sold it to buy a 4runner.

Get a van.

My signature

Since you want to do a lot of varying stuff I would say strengthen your frame to add a rear bumper. Pick a great bumper that'll give you the option of adding a tire on the back. This means that you'll want to significantly strengthen your frame to support the dead weight added to the back half of the frame.

Add a tire carrier to store the race truck tire. Your spare should reside inside the truck. Add a secondary gas tank where your spare goes. A 18gal ford tank fits where your spare is (and the height is relatively the same - no loss in departure angle!!). That'll give you A LOT of miles in conjunction with your factory tank which is around 18ish right? 35+gals would definitely make ya cry at the pump though.

Put tools and recovery gear right behind one of the front seats and strap it down using the rear seats and front seat mounts. This will keep these items from becoming projectiles. Plus that'll be the easiest place to access stuff anyway. I keep my gear right behind me so all I have to do is open the rear door and it's there. Food and other heavy items can sit behind the rear seats next to your spare tire. I keep a large plastic bin that carries all of my fluids and spare parts which is strapped to the cabin behind the rear seats. These items can be accessible when you open the hatch door as they're not items you get 24x7. If you do need spare parts you know you'll be down for a bit anyway so the rear hatch door will be open. O yeah camping gear goes here too. Don't forget to strap everything down. I use one of those yakima megawarrior mesh net to hold gear down. Surprisingly works well.

As for clothing, get a space box up top (yakima/thule). Yeah it might look kinda lame but it'll be a great place for storing clothing/sleeping bags etc. Anything light will do. It won't kill your mpg much if any. I have a yakima box up top and I don't recall my mpg dropping at all (I was surprised). If any it might go down 1/2 mpg? It's very minimal. They're super aerodynamic so you're in good hands. They're lockable so you can't go wrong there too. Also can store your boards! The box and clothing won't weigh you down at all so you won't notice the cog factor at all. Worst case you don't want to do this, just stuff your clothes in a duffel and toss it in the back and call it a day.

Hope this helps.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Fixed it! I gave BajaRack a call and got one of their racks to sort out all the stuff flopping around the cab. Check them out http://www.bajarack.com/

Which model of Baja Rack is that. Their site only shows the Mule to fit the 4runner, but that looks alot longer. It looks awesome
    Uummmm??? I forget.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast