This question grew from a discussion on 3gen 4Runner bumpers.

Is a guy better off mounting his junk (spare, fuel ect) on a solid roof rack then on the rear bumper? For those of us that actually use or should I say abuse our rigs, weight in the wrong places can have catastrophic results. My rig is use for light crawling but mainly as a support prerunner for desert racing.

Ever since my autocross/timetrial racing days I've always been a big fan of having a LCG so I’m not a big fan of putting a bunch of weight on my lid. On the flip side (pun) I don’t like having all that weight sticking out my backside working as a lever against a factor weak frame. Even assuming your frame has been braced, all that weight is still way out destroying your ride through the bumps and doubles as a land anchor when crawling.

What's the answer, where are you guys putting all this necessary stuff? In the back of my 4runner I have a pit box (tools, parts, recovery & fluids) and various gear that I don't want out in the elements. Its all strapped down no higher then the top of seats and the cooler is on floor behind driver seat, easy access for co-dog to get to.

Extras that need a home are:
• My spare - currently in oem location underneath
• Race truck spare - on top, on a bumper, inside??
• Fuel - I hate how small the runners tank is plus I need to carry extra fuel for the race truck. I've carried it inside, but I usually end up sleepy with a smelling cab at best or a mess at worse.
• Camping gear - inside or ontop
Any suggestions?